VMware Cloud Community
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN File Services Manual Deployment Not Working

Hi All,

I am trying to deploy vSAN File Services on a platform that isnt connected to the internet, when I try to manually deploy the agent, I select the files downloaded from the VMware site, and then if I click Next...nothing happens it just hangs.

Is there are way to do this via cli etc? If I place the OVF files in a datastore/content library, or has someone seen this happen elsewhere?

TIA for any help.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@deanvictrix,

If my memory does not fail me, the vSAN File Services Photo OS VMs, are in .OVF format inside vCenter and it comes there when is installed. From where did you get the agent?

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I got it from here: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsa... 

From my understanding reading the instructions the vCenter downloads the appliance when it has connectivity to the internet, I am unable to give the vCenter access to the internet.

This article: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vsan.doc/GUID-CA9CF043-9434-454E-86... 

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I first try to enable the service I do get an error saying:

Failed to extract the requested data. Check vSphere CLient logs for details.

Then this is where I can choose to upload the files and it hangs.

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Spoiler
I have exact same problem.   I haven't found a solution yet.
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Okay you learn something new everyday! Read about that just a few minutes ago. So let´s check the vsphere-client log only.

Can you attach this one?: /storage/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log

Maybe you were attaching the whole bundle.

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what I get when I select the OVF files and click next.  

anothervsphereu_0-1682016552922.png

Note that there are 6 files I am selecting.

anothervsphereu_1-1682016626438.png

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately due to the nature of this platform I cannot post any logs.

I can report however that after a reboot of the vCenter I managed to deploy the VSAN FS appliances, however, due to an issue on the network I then had to disable VSAN File Services, when I now try to redeploy I get the same hanging error, and a reboot (multiple) doesnt solve the issue.

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When the OVF is uploaded successfully, would you know where it is stored?

I found a PowerCLI command https://developer.vmware.com/docs/powercli/latest/vmware.vimautomation.storage/commands/add-vsanfile... 

This doesnt work for me because the URL is an issue, however I am thinking if I can manually put the ovf files in the location the vCenter GUI checks against, it should let me progress, I just cannot find anywhere that documents that location.

Thanks

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this

/storage/updatemgr/vsan/fileService/

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@deanvictrix,

The only you did was reboot vCenter and that let you deploy it? It is weird that in random occasions is working just fine. Are you deploying these appliances in Standard Switches or VDS?

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ve only managed to get it to deploy once.

vDS I’m deploying to, but I’m all honesty I don’t even get that far.

The Virgo log reports this when I click next:

com.vmware.vsan.client.services.log.LogService                    (rde62-554009012084) [GLOBAL]: "Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'major')","TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'major')\n    at Version.compare

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@deanvictrix,

I tried to find anything relevant to that log but had no luck. What version of vCenter are you running?

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 7.0u3i

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Got it, I wanted to see if you were running a version compatible with your build. From the Virgo log, you receive that error on the first step?

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So when I select the files to upload and then click next I get that error every time I click next, the files never upload the gui just hangs

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@deanvictrix,

Quick one, have you tried deploying it from the ESXi Host Client?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If vSAN FS has already been configured at some point, it is probably best to contact support as they have a clean-up script.

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No didn’t know this was possible. 

0 Kudos