VMware Cloud Community
akarydas1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual VSA on 4 nodes

Hello

When I have a 4 node cluster with Virtual VSA enabled on all, is it possible to configure the virtual VSA to be able to loose 2 nodes and still have my vms running?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VSA was indeed another product from VMware. It was essential a highly available NAS filer, but only went to a maximum of 3 nodes. I assume you are meaning VSAN in this question.

As the previous poster stated, you need 5 nodes to tolerate 2 failures.

I did an article on how many hosts you need to tolerate X number of failures here - VSAN Part 25 - How many hosts needed to tolerate failures? | CormacHogan.com

We support a maximum of 3 failures in the current release of VSAN.

http://cormachogan.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSA, or Virtual San? These two are completely different.

I don't know anything about VSAN, but in vSan it *might* be possible. It all depends on the witness servers then.

Update: If tried to create a vm with a policy to accept 2 host failure. It failed on my 4 hosts cluster. It says that it needs 5 hosts for this policy.

CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VSA was indeed another product from VMware. It was essential a highly available NAS filer, but only went to a maximum of 3 nodes. I assume you are meaning VSAN in this question.

As the previous poster stated, you need 5 nodes to tolerate 2 failures.

I did an article on how many hosts you need to tolerate X number of failures here - VSAN Part 25 - How many hosts needed to tolerate failures? | CormacHogan.com

We support a maximum of 3 failures in the current release of VSAN.

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
akarydas1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was indeed talking about Virtual VSA (not the old VSA which was stopped).

And I had to deploy a lab as well to find out that need 2n+1 esx contributing storage. That sound perfect in single datacenter or higher than 3 but in the 2 site design is failing like all storage solutions I checked.

Thanks fo answer and all articles 🙂

0 Kudos