VMware Cloud Community
rickyguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSAN storage and file download(6.7)

Recently, I encountered a problem while learning vsphere: I built a cluster in a vmware environment. In this cluster, there are 3 hosts, and I created a new virtual machine on the vsphere client management page. The storage of the virtual machine On vsanstorage, after the virtual machine was created, there was a sudden power outage, causing the virtual machine to fail to start again. I tried to download the vmdk file and found that this file was not a real virtual disk file, but a text file (The size is less than 1kb). Later, I searched for the corresponding topic on the Internet and found that someone had a similar situation to me. In other words, the original normal vmdk file was lost, and now I need to restore this vmdk file. After I learned what I was about to do, I found it to be very difficult because I didn't know how the actual vmdk file was stored. What if I need to try to retrieve this vmdk file manually?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I didn't need to go through this procedure myself yet.
However, from what I understand, the KB article shows the steps to find out whether the object/component is still available.
After making sure that the correct object/component has been identified, you may then proceed with creating the descriptor file, which is basically a pointer to that component's UUID.

Anyway, since you said that the descriptor file was still available, I'm afraid that the component somehow got lost.

Good luck.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please see whether https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/70726 helps to find the missing object.

André

rickyguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,I'll try😄

0 Kudos
rickyguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Although this article is wonderful, but it wasn't very helpful to me. I can only view the object information, but there is no information about which disk these objects are on and the corresponding coordinate information. I will elaborate on the problems I encountered and the ideas I understand to solve the problem, which may help solve the problem.

Problem Details:

1. A virtual machine has become unbootable due to a sudden power outage.
  2. The size of the VMDK virtual disk file appears normal.
  3. I attempted to download the virtual disk file locally and then mount it, but the downloaded file was only a few hundred bytes and appeared as a text file.

The question is: In a normal virtual machine, when I download a virtual disk file from vsanstorage, I can see that the downloaded file is normal and is named "virtualmachine_stream.vmdk". Why do I get a completely different result when downloading the disk file of this unbootable virtual machine?

Then, I found some suggestions online indicating that I may need to manually recover the data from the virtual disk file. The general approach is as follows:

1. Use the value of the virtual object "vsan://uuid" in the VMDK file to locate the structure of that virtual object on the physical disk, as shown in the diagram below:

4a8902f6aa20f76a92ec1dccd87bb15.png

2. Based on the value of "vsan://uuid", navigate to the cluster and, under the [Monitoring] menu, select the [vSAN] item. Find and select the UUID, and then view the detailed placement location of the virtual object, as shown in the diagram below:

0b46546a60a6c282bb418ab280797cf.png

3. click 'View Placement Details'

45ecf1f32325552cfebec90f8a209ff.png

in this picture, it shows the all objects associated with this virtual object,such as cache disk and capacity disk.

4. Up to now, I don't know how to proceed. However, someone said that I could clone the disk according to the information in the above picture, and then analyze the corresponding structure (similar to a certain file format), extract the metadata, and rebuild the virtual disk file. Finally, I can restore it. So, I want to know whether this method is feasible. If it is feasible, what technical details related to vsan storage should I further understand.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I didn't need to go through this procedure myself yet.
However, from what I understand, the KB article shows the steps to find out whether the object/component is still available.
After making sure that the correct object/component has been identified, you may then proceed with creating the descriptor file, which is basically a pointer to that component's UUID.

Anyway, since you said that the descriptor file was still available, I'm afraid that the component somehow got lost.

Good luck.

André

0 Kudos