VMware Cloud Community
sjef_roovers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI CPU utilisation in vcenter

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the cpu usage of my 2 esxi hosts in our vsphere cluster.

Sometimes when it is busy the cpu of both of the servers is like 60-70% this is more then 100%. ( together )

I am concerned about this does this mean that when 1 esxi host fails not all the vm`s running on this host failover to the second host,..?

Or does this mean they will failover but have less cpu resource to work with.

see the attachment , I show you what I mean

We would need to rollout more vm`s but I am concerned and need to know what happens first.

thanks for all the reply in advance

best regards

jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Considering your situation/environment VM's will fail over to another host when one host is down.

If you dont have CPU reservation for VM's  then it should be ok to distribute available CPU's among VM's and balance.

If there is CPU reservation then it becomes a challenge to have CPU assigned for those VM's .

Depending upon the load it is better to have enough sufficient CPU resource for critical applications and reserved VM's.

Below document helps you in understanding best practice for assigning CPU :

https://techzone.vmware.com/sites/default/files/vmware-perfbest-practices-vsphere6-0-white-paper.pdf

Techies Sphere: VMware Virtual Machine's resources allocation common Best Practices !

Techies Sphere: How to choose right number of Virtual Sockets and Core per Socket for a Virtual mach...

regards

Gayathri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Considering your situation/environment VM's will fail over to another host when one host is down.

If you dont have CPU reservation for VM's  then it should be ok to distribute available CPU's among VM's and balance.

If there is CPU reservation then it becomes a challenge to have CPU assigned for those VM's .

Depending upon the load it is better to have enough sufficient CPU resource for critical applications and reserved VM's.

Below document helps you in understanding best practice for assigning CPU :

https://techzone.vmware.com/sites/default/files/vmware-perfbest-practices-vsphere6-0-white-paper.pdf

Techies Sphere: VMware Virtual Machine's resources allocation common Best Practices !

Techies Sphere: How to choose right number of Virtual Sockets and Core per Socket for a Virtual mach...

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
sjef_roovers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,..

Do I understand this when I say,

the vm`s do fail over but regarding the number of vm`s , they will be running on max cpu usage because they all are on 1 esxi host now, instead of 2 esxi hosts

best regards

Jeff

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Esxi host will be on high usage and may hit performance issue.

0 Kudos