VMware Cloud Community
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7, USB3.0 and SSD

Hi there,

I am running ESXi 6.7 on my Dell T130 using a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD cable connected to a 250gb SSD drive.  During the installation of ESXI, it found the SSD drive and installed fine.  Now in the VMWare web console I cannot see the drive under storage. Any ideas how I can enable this?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hello!

I susect that you don't see it because it's detected as flash device. Datastore can't be created on USB device by default.

Read the following article https://www.virten.net/2016/11/usb-devices-as-vmfs-datastore-in-vsphere-esxi-6-5/

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

Thanks for your reply.  I have read the link and no snapshots are listed when i issue the esxcli command.

Also the article mentions:

USB Datastore on USB drives with >2TB

Large drives still do not work in ESXi 6.5:

Is that still the case with ESXi 6.7

Thanks

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

You should read the section 'Create VMFS5/6 Datastore on USB drives'

But be carefull because you have existing partitions on your hdd.

The easiest way to achieve your goal is:

1. Install ESXi on any usb flash

2. Create VMFS on your hdd as per instruction.

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The easiest way to achieve your goal is:

1. Install ESXi on any usb flash

2. Create VMFS on your hdd as per instruction.

That is what I have exactly done, ESXi installed on 250gb SSD drive connected to USB 3.0 on my motherboard.  There 220gb free so how can I use this space?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

Is it possible to use the 220gb I have left over?

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

It's only possible when you install ESXi on separate usb device and then make datastore on your 250Gb driver as per instruction

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Reading https://www.virten.net/2016/11/usb-devices-as-vmfs-datastore-in-vsphere-esxi-6-5/  mentons about "Create VMFS5/6 Datastore on USB drives" with a starting sector of 2048.  Would it be pssible to create a new partition from the sector after where ESXi 6.7 is installed to use up the remaining space?

Thanks

0 Kudos