ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FAILS WITH CLONING VM

ESXi version 6.5.0 - Build 5310538

vCSA version 6.5.0.5600 - Build 5705665

vSAN version 6.6.0

I am in the process of cloning VMs in order to do upgrades planned but I have 2 VMs that it is not posible to do the cloning.

I got issues with "An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details." These 2 VMs are a Windows Cluster with AD and many Windows facilities (DHCP, file sharing...).

I read and found many articles explaning process like:

- Disabling VSS quiesced application based snapshots in virtual machine (2146204) - https://goo.gl/LYygvM

- Quiesced snapshots of Windows 2008R2/2012/2012R2 VMs with VMware Tools 10.1.0/10.1.5 fails (2149640) - https://goo.gl/JieYWn

But these articles explains the modification of a file with name "Tools.conf". In the path where the KBs explaing these modifications, I see another file .conf (guestproxy-ssl.conf).

Anybody has modified this file and solved this issue? I understand from the KB that I can do the changes, restart the VMware tools service and check it if it works.

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

Finally I found the actions needed to solve the issue:

1. First of all, update VMware tools in VMs. There must be 10.1.0.10 or greater. You must install with VM powered ON and then restart VM to apply changes.

2. Disable Windows service "VMware Snapshot provider service". IMPORTANT: Not only stop it, you must disable it.

3. Enable VSS Windows service. In Spanish is called "Instantáneas de volumen". IMPORTANT: If it is not enabled, enable it.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also, I checked again this URL and doing the changes did not work OK.

Regards,

Please, any idea? Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Rsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This i have seen in past , surprisingly the solution for this for me was, i removed volume shadow copies.

Check inside the windows os, if you are getting the vss provider errors, if so  go ahead and remove the shadow copies and try again

0 Kudos
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

Finally I found the actions needed to solve the issue:

1. First of all, update VMware tools in VMs. There must be 10.1.0.10 or greater. You must install with VM powered ON and then restart VM to apply changes.

2. Disable Windows service "VMware Snapshot provider service". IMPORTANT: Not only stop it, you must disable it.

3. Enable VSS Windows service. In Spanish is called "Instantáneas de volumen". IMPORTANT: If it is not enabled, enable it.

Regards,

westeyqv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was getting: An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine event log for details. An error occurred while taking a snapshot. Failed to quiesce the virtual machine. An error occurred while saving the snapshot. Failed to quiesce the virtual machines.

Setting VSS as unavailable during the installation VMTools solved the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Pieter_DCX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked Beautifully and resolved my issue thank you!!!
0 Kudos
Pieter_DCX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked Beautifully and resolved my issue thank you!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos