VMware Cloud Community
Hami_Celik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are many .vmdk files created after snapshots in the Datastore Virtual Machine Folder

Hello,

In vCenter, I get this warning in vm summary "Some of the virtual machine's Vm-Name disks could not be loaded. The information available for them in the virtual machine configuration may be missing". A lot of .vmdk and .vmsn file records. There are usually 2 discs available. There is no snapshot visible in snapshot management. I couldn't make any transactions because they would be verified on these disks, there are 20 of them in a chain. What path should be followed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hami_Celik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@a_p_  Thank you for your help. I solved the problem. It was caused by the host in the Simplivity federation.

I lost access to a datastore here. I wanted to unmount it, but I get a warning that I need to check vmkernel.log. vmkernel.log path shows that datastore. Should I change the path manually?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Snapshot Manager GUI is a graphical representation of the VM's .vmsd file. If that file became corrupt, or has been reset for whatever reason, the Snapshot Manger won't show anything.

To find out what could be done, please run the following CLI commands from within the VM's folder (/vmfs/volumes/datastore-name/vm-name), and attach the resulting filelist.txt to your next reply.

grep vmdk *.vmx > filelist.txt
df -h >> filelist.txt
ls -lisa >> filelist.txt

André

0 Kudos
Hami_Celik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@a_p_  Thank you for your help. I solved the problem. It was caused by the host in the Simplivity federation.

I lost access to a datastore here. I wanted to unmount it, but I get a warning that I need to check vmkernel.log. vmkernel.log path shows that datastore. Should I change the path manually?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> ... vmkernel.log path shows that datastore. Should I change the path manually?

Sorry, but I can't follow you with this one. Can you please provide more details?

André

0 Kudos
Hami_Celik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @a_p_ ,

My syslog files are stored in the datastore. I lost access to the datastore from my host. When I tried to unmount the datastore, I got a warning that it was busy. I changed the syslog path. Problem solved. Thank you for your interest.

0 Kudos