VMware Cloud Community
RichoT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upting vSphere 8.0 ESXi Host

I'm having trouble getting our vSphere 8.0 ESXi host to update.
I can't do the update through vSphere Client as it is running as a VM on that host.

This is a Dell R550 and it appears that the 8.0 U1 is the latest that has a Dell support package.
looks like the 8.0U1a package is irrelevant for me anyway as we're not running a vSAN..

I've created an image containing the following that vSphere Client is happy with (Validation and Compliance passes etc).
ESXi Version: 8.0 U1 - 21495797
Vendor Addon: Dell addon for PowerEdge Servers 801-A00

I've exported it to a zip and stored that on the hosts datastore and put the host into maintenance mode.
logged into the shell and tried the update
This is what happens when I try to update from the CLI:

[root@esxihost1:/vmfs/volumes/63935b92-848a9565-4dee-00620b54eb30] esxcli software vib update -d "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/OFFLINE_BUNDLE_52d7e560-7e20-14c5-b02f-129660aba49c.zip"
[ProfileValidationError]
Profile (Updated) DEL-ESXi_800.20513097-A00 is missing component(s) ESXi. Make sure the image contains these component(s) at a version equal or higher than the version found in the ESXi release version 8.0.1-0.0.21495797.
Please refer to the log file for more details.

The current image on the host is:
ESXi 8.0.0 20513097
DEL-ESXi_800.20513097-A00 (Dell Inc.)

I've run out of ideas on how to get this thing updated..

Cheers
    Richard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, try an vib install, not an update.

esxcli software vib install -d "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/OFFLINE_BUNDLE_52d7e560-7e20-14c5-b02f-129660aba49c.zip"

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78356

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, try an vib install, not an update.

esxcli software vib install -d "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/OFFLINE_BUNDLE_52d7e560-7e20-14c5-b02f-129660aba49c.zip"

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78356

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can also update it o, that you make an USB with the new version and run it directly on host and then it will ask you if you will update or clean install.

I prefer this while this works each time without any problems, only you need to the host and do it on it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RichoT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers degvm

Sigh yep that worked.
I guess it's due to the changes / removal of some drivers in the Dell VIB.
Reading the difference between the install and upgrade on that KB things makes sense now.

All updated (installed) and running again.
Much appreciated 👍

RichoT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Alfista_PS

Yep I was trying to make sure this all worked via remote access as the system will be going into a CoLocation.
USB would be a last resort for me 🙂

Cheers

0 Kudos