VMware Cloud Community
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where do I find vSphere Permissions definitions

I would like to get an explanation of what each privilege in vSphere pertains to. For example, the Datastore.Configure-Datastore permission- what does it allow the user to do. Can the user add/remove datastores with this permission.

Please let me know if there is a granular list explaining each one.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen that article:

Configure datastore

Allows configuration of a datastore.

To me it doesn't really mean much. To configure a datastore is to do what? Add a datastore to a host or set permissions on a datastore, etc?

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-security/GUID-B2426ACC-D73F-4732-8BBC-DE9B1B22...

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

And here we go again: 

Datastore Privileges (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

And do not forget to open vCenter Permission Tab to check. 

It works together. 

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like I said in my previous post, what does the permission "Configure Datastore" actually provide? Does it allow the user to add a datastore to the hosts? I think "Configure" is too generic as a word to describe datastore permissions.

0 Kudos
ajesha
Contributor
Contributor

i believe "configure datastore" can configure properties of the datastore. PS example.

NAME
Set-Datastore

SYNOPSIS
This cmdlet modifies the properties of the specified datastore.

SYNTAX
Set-Datastore [-Datastore] <Datastore[]> [[-Name] <String>] [-CongestionThresholdMillisecond <Int32>] [-Server <VIServer[]>]
[-StorageIOControlEnabled <Boolean>] [-Confirm] [-WhatIf] [<CommonParameters>]

Set-Datastore [-Datastore] <Datastore[]> [-EvacuateAutomatically] -MaintenanceMode <Boolean> [-RunAsync] [-Server <VIServer[]>] [-Confirm]
[-WhatIf] [<CommonParameters>]

DESCRIPTION
This cmdlet modifies the properties of the specified datastore. You can use the following characters in a path, but not in a datastore name:
slash (/), backslash (\), and percent (%).

0 Kudos