VMware Cloud Community
line7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can someone recommend the fastest hypervisor + guest 64 bit system combination?

can someone recommend the fastest hypervisor + guest 64 bit system combination?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with AWS other than from what I read on the internet and see/hear on business news about Amazon.

If you are planning to run Workstation inside a VM with AWS, you will be running with nested virtualisation (i.e. hypervisor within hypervisor). WIth nested virtualisation, the VMX operations still apply. But the Intel CPU should have a feature called VMCS shadowing for a nested VM to perform better. VMCS shadowing is available on Haswell and newer CPUs although it does not mean every Haswell or newer CPU will have it. I think VMCS shadowing only works at one level. So if the AWS VM that you are running Workstation is already itself a VM inside another VM, you won't get any of the VMCS shadowing benefit.

Aside from that, you would lose the 3D accelerated graphics capability unless there is some sort of GPU passthrough as part of the AWS subscription. 3D accelerated graphics within Workstation VMs would require a corresponding capable physical GPU on the host machine (be it a Windows or Linux host). You would also lose the convenience of attaching USB device(s) to the VM as obviously you won't be able to physically attach/detach a USB device in some server in some unknown AWS data centre location.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't understand your question. There is no such thing as "fastest hypervisor plus guest 64 bit system".

0 Kudos
line7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks - I mean which operatign system will ran the fastest  on Workstation 15?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It depends on a multitude of factors. It's impossible to say.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is my general opinion anf from whst I've seen. Stick with windows for the host os , using Linux with Workstation is problematic. I can't say its quicker on windows, but running bare linux GUI didn't seem any quicker then windows, and you didn't have to worry about USB issues and setting your network card to promiscuous mode. This may be related to the Laptop  I use for my Lab so like previous said there are alot of factors for performance, but for ease of use windows seems preferable.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There is really not much difference in VM performance between Linux and Windows host as the running of the VM is nearly bare-metal for the most part. The lines are a bit blurred for VMware Workstation as in some ways it isn't a strict definition of a type 2 hypervisor.

For hosts with an Intel CPU, Workstation uses what's called "VMX Operations" to take advantage of the VT-x/EPT features of the Intel CPU. It is not using an OS level API to execute the VM CPU requests; the virtual RAM is managed by EPT. Thus, the performance of the VM is more dependent on the CPU features than the host OS.

For a feature such as 3D acceleration, Workstation 15.x will use an OS level API. For Windows hosts, the default setting will use DX11 while Linux hosts default setting will use OpenGL to deliver the DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 core profile capabilities inside the VM.

If possible, avoid using an old OS such as Windows 7/8 especially if the host CPU is newer than the OS. This rule of thumb applies for both guest and host OS. If possible enforce this rule of thumb on the host OS. The guest OS can be old (such as running a 32-bit XP VM) and that is the whole reason for having a VM but avoid using old OS if the VM use case is for something such as a code/development environment.

It would be better to use Windows 10 as a host OS. Linux hosts can bring headaches when compatibility issues rises due to kernel updates.

0 Kudos
line7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

tahnk you very much for your very informative replies....I wanted to run a win7 vm on linix because AMAZON prices then at half the cost of the Windows instances - the reaosn to run a vm inside an instance - to protect our models.....do you think this is warranted - I cannot help but thinkg amazon will still check the contents of our instances....

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You want to run a Windows VM inside a Linux EC2 instance just to save money? This is not a good idea at all.

0 Kudos
line7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not sure why saving 50% of expenses seems liek a bad idea to you......amazon windows isntance would cost 1000 usd monthly - linus - 500usd - which woudl you select? is linux so BAD? for runnign VMs?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with AWS other than from what I read on the internet and see/hear on business news about Amazon.

If you are planning to run Workstation inside a VM with AWS, you will be running with nested virtualisation (i.e. hypervisor within hypervisor). WIth nested virtualisation, the VMX operations still apply. But the Intel CPU should have a feature called VMCS shadowing for a nested VM to perform better. VMCS shadowing is available on Haswell and newer CPUs although it does not mean every Haswell or newer CPU will have it. I think VMCS shadowing only works at one level. So if the AWS VM that you are running Workstation is already itself a VM inside another VM, you won't get any of the VMCS shadowing benefit.

Aside from that, you would lose the 3D accelerated graphics capability unless there is some sort of GPU passthrough as part of the AWS subscription. 3D accelerated graphics within Workstation VMs would require a corresponding capable physical GPU on the host machine (be it a Windows or Linux host). You would also lose the convenience of attaching USB device(s) to the VM as obviously you won't be able to physically attach/detach a USB device in some server in some unknown AWS data centre location.

0 Kudos
line7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFULLY DETAILED REPLY..

THE ONLY REASON I wish to run a vm on a remote instance is to protect our models beyond any doubt ........I udnerstand vm access can be fully protected?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its bad for support reasons, what your doing would never be supported by AWS or vmware, so if something breaks your probably on your own if it even works.There is also performance issues yo could run into. What bluefirestorm mentioned is theoretically possibly in hypervisors, but they have to setup that way, and aws isn't from my understanding. Do a google search on ec2 nested virtualization.

IF you want to try and accept all the risks, at a minimum you would probably need the compute intensive aws instance, it looks like this is based on the work they did to get vmware cloud on aws to work correctly. The important part is they say they expose intel VT, which is the bare minimum needed for nested virtualization to work.

Amazon EC2 Bare Metal Instances with Direct Access to Hardware | AWS News Blog

0 Kudos