VMware Cloud Community
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cores per socket option not available?

Hi,

The Cores per Socket option is active on all my servers, but I set up a new server and I saw that there is no Cores per Socket option. I couldn't understand why?

For example picture onsocket.jpg; This setting is available on all my servers

For example picture offsocket.jpg; I set up a new server and it is not available here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

CPU topology is available for virtual machine with version 8.0 and later (VM Version 20). As you are using version 8.0.1, you can change cpu topology using the "edit setting -> VM Options -> CPU Topology" section of the VM settings. Please go through the documents proveded in the first post. Also see the screenshot.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

View solution in original post

15 Replies
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Even though I have already configured these settings, they do not appear. Thats the problem!

I couldn't understand from these articles why I see a socket in the virtual machine I created a few days ago, but I can't see it here now?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

This is because you have to change the settings related to the number of "cores" and number of "numa nodes" from "assigned at power on" to what you deem appropriate for your needs. A personal observation, if you don't foresee you need "hot adding CPU" disable that option, in my context I noticed that in certain situations it has a certain impact on the performance of my VMs (I mean pejorative).

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't need to assign the CPU while it's running. I accidentally shared the screenshot that way. What I want to do is to set Cores per Socket manually. How will Cores per Socket reappear in this space? I don't understand how to do this???

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

That screenshot is the page containing the options to set the vCPU / Socket combination that best suits your needs with virtual machines at hardware compatibility level "20" or higher. It is explained quite well in the reference documentation that @ Sachchidanand have already indicated you.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess I didn't explain the problem. The space in the picture on the left is available on all servers, but my newly created server does not have the core per socket option in the picture on the right? I'm asking why and how can I activate that area?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

Read the previous comment, I understand that you may not like it but the GUI works according to the criteria of whoever designed it.
Did you want to know if you can modify it according to your criteria? I would say no.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using VMware ESXi, 8.0.1 and I have not made any upgrades. Why is this setting available yesterday but not today? I do not understand this.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

Because your new virtual machine uses, unless you choose something else, as default hardware compatibility level "20" and thus wants the manual setting of vCPU/Socket from the tab "VM options" then "CPU Topology". Other than repeating that this is specified in the product documentation, I really don't know what else to tell you.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well can you tell me how to enable per core socket option?

0 Kudos
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For example, there are 2 types of servers, 2 sockets and 4 sockets. Is that actually what you're asking about? In socket-based licensing, it is calculated based on how many physical servers with sockets you have.

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hocam ben lisansa takıldığımı düşünmüyorum. Türkçe yazmamda sakınca yoktur sanırım. İsmini görünce kurtarıcı gelmiş gibi oldum şu an. 🙂

vmware konusunda da yeni sayılırım. Yeni bir sanal makine oluştururken "Edit Settings" kısmında bana CPU altında "Cores per Socket" seçeneği gelirdi her zaman. Şu an gelmiyor ve nedenini anlamış değilim. Sorunum sadece bu ama arkadaşlar konuyu başka yerlere götürüyorlar. Pratiklik denen bir şey yok bu gavurlarda 🙂

Eğer bunu artık bu adımda değil de seçtiğimiz CPU'ya göre VM Options kısmında yapacaksın diyorsan, bende herhangi bir güncelleme yapmamama rağmen nasıl bir günde değişti onu anlamıyorum?

0 Kudos
06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I wrote in Turkish, there was no response. Let me repeat...

I'm also new to vmware. When creating a new virtual machine, I would always see the "Cores per Socket" option under CPU in the "Edit Settings" section. It's not coming right now and I don't understand why.

If you say that you will no longer do this in this step but in the VM Options section according to the CPU we chose, I don't understand how it changed in a day even though I didn't make any updates?

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

CPU topology is available for virtual machine with version 8.0 and later (VM Version 20). As you are using version 8.0.1, you can change cpu topology using the "edit setting -> VM Options -> CPU Topology" section of the VM settings. Please go through the documents proveded in the first post. Also see the screenshot.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

06suleyman06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos