VMware Cloud Community
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

fail to setup vCenter

There is error "Failed to write hostname and hostnametype to registry" when I try to setup a VCSA on my server. I tried a few times(on vmware workstation, on ESXI, and from windows) but everytime I met the same problem. The version is 6.7d.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not only do you need a static IP, but you need a DNS server which is capable of having static records assigned manually, by you, which correspond to the hostname you give it during installation process. This is all mandatory and without it vCSA will ​not​ install correctly as you are now finding out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's easiest to help you if you show us screenshots of your installation process with the vCSA wizard. Include the values you're setting in the screenshot, please.

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for reply. I copy the screenshot here. Please tell me if you need anything else.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

I keep blank on the page, click next.

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

I noticed disk3.vmdk hadn't been upload. I'm not sure if it is OK.

pastedImage_7.png

I set password here.

pastedImage_8.png

I open the web of VCSA and click the left button to go on setup.

pastedImage_9.png

pastedImage_10.png

sorry for Chinese interface.

pastedImage_11.png

pastedImage_12.png

I click "complet" button.

pastedImage_13.png

pastedImage_14.png

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your problem here is that you're trying to deploy the OVA directly. You must use the wizard that comes on the ISO for the vCSA. Otherwise, the necessary OVF properties are not sent to the appliance upon first boot causing failures later. Use the wizard and do not deploy the OVA directly.

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know your means. I have tried the ISO, in fact. but the wizard didn't show. it seems the VM cannot boot from the vcsa ISO. I download the ISO file from the official site, it should be good. Is there anything I missed?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

It didn't boot from the iso file when I power on the VM.

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The ISO is not a bootable image. You'll have to mount it on a computer (e.g. your PC), and then launch the installer from it.

André

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have tried this way, too. Do you mean run the file below?

pastedImage_0.png

But, I also get the same error with the way that I install with OVA directly, "Failed to write hostname and hostnametype to registry" .

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule this out:

• did you verify the ISO image's checksum, to ensure the downloaded file isn't corrupt?
  • did you go through the prerequisites, e.g. create a DNS record (Forward, and Reverse) for the vCSA?

André

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I add some screenshot here.

I install from F:\vcsa-ui-installer\win32\installer.exe after I mount the iso file.

The first stage seems ok

pastedImage_0.png

I go on the second stage

pastedImage_1.png

then I see the same error.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just check the file, the checksum is good.

pastedImage_0.png

And I don't understand your second question "did you go through the prerequisites, e.g. create a DNS record (Forward, and Reverse) for the vCSA?"

I use DHCP in the process, I think the DNS is get from the router.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the documentation:

If you use DHCP instead of a static IP address for the vCenter Server Appliance or Platform Services Controller appliance, verify that the appliance name is updated in the domain name service (DNS). If you can ping the appliance name, the name is updated in DNS.

It depends on the DHCP server, i.e. it's configuration, whether it creates/updates DNS records. You will have to check if this works with your router.

That said, consider to setup vCSA with a static IP address, or make at least sure that you create a reservation in the DHCP server, so that the vCSA's IP address always remains the same.

André

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I'm a little confused. VCSA get a DNS(192.168.46.2) from the router and the DNS is working(I verified it), VM can access internet with the DNS. I think it's enough. Why it's necessary to add the VCSA host name to DNS? (By the way, the DNS didn't update hostname "photon-machine" with IP "192.168.46.134".) It doesn't matter if the DHCP server change the IP of VCSA, because I just build a test network. In fact, for now, I only use IP to access to VMs. And, is DNS relate to the problem I met? "failed to write hostname and hostnametype to registry." Is the "registry" means DNS or a database in VCSA itself?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As André is trying to tell you, DHCP really shouldn't be used. When deploying via the installer wizard (which is what you must be using), you need to use a static IP. Before you do that, you MUST ensure you have statically added the hostname to your local DNS server. A router functioning as DNS *WILL NOT WORK* if you cannot set up static DNS records.

VCSA get a DNS(192.168.46.2) from the router and the DNS is working(I verified it), VM can access internet with the DNS.

None of this matters. You must have a proper DNS server that can accommodate A and PTR records. Both of those must be present for the vCSA. It also makes no difference if the vCSA can or cannot access the Internet.

Why it's necessary to add the VCSA host name to DNS?

Because this is mandatory. It won't function if it cannot look itself up.

(By the way, the DNS didn't update hostname "photon-machine" with IP "192.168.46.134".)

The fact that the name is showing "photon-machine" proves it wasn't setup with DNS properly. It should never have this name.

0 Kudos
xiaoxiaoxin6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your explanation. It seems I need spend a little time to try static IP and DNS setting. I'll try it and come back next week.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not only do you need a static IP, but you need a DNS server which is capable of having static records assigned manually, by you, which correspond to the hostname you give it during installation process. This is all mandatory and without it vCSA will ​not​ install correctly as you are now finding out.

0 Kudos