VMware Cloud Community
mporliod75
Contributor
Contributor

storage sizing replacement

I'm planning to replace the storage in my VMware infrastructure and have a question about estimating the space needed for the new storage system. To calculate the space required, I should consider the space allocated to each VM rather than the space actually used, right "For example, if a VM has 1 TB of space allocated but only contains 600 GB of data, the space it takes up on logical storage is still 1 TB, correct?"

thank

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Arvind_Kumar11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's purely depends on your current & forecasted space requirement in your infrastructure.

And yes, you should consider the "allocated" space of the VMs instead of actual data size.

Also, don't forget to calculate the forecasted requirement so that you do have enough free space afterwards.

0 Kudos
mporliod75
Contributor
Contributor

in theory, when I migrate the VMs to the new storage, is there no way to recover the allocated space not used by the VM?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By reallocating space you mean take advantage of thin provisioning just be careful about sizing. When you thin provision and basically over allocate your storage you always risk overcommitting. Plus you need to take into account future growth. I would try to not underestimate, especially as cheap as large storage is becoming. Or be sure and get storage that is easily expandable later.

--Alan--

0 Kudos