VMware Cloud Community
vmwareadm
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit Linux and virtual network hardware

Hello,

I recently set up a Debian/Lenny (i386) VM, type 'Other Linux (32 Bit)', and with the 'flexible' ethernet adapter. Then the requierements changed, and I switched to 64 Bit, changing the VM type to 'Other Linux (64 Bit)' and installing Lenny (amd64) from the ground up. So I had a new installation of a 64 Bit system, but when pcnet32 was used for the virtuel network hardware instead of e1000, and when the vmxnet module was loaded with the open-vm-tools, I was irritated, and I quickly found my mistake. I had to change the virtual network hardware manually - the e1000 adapter is only chosen automacially when a new 64 Bit VM is created.

I fixed this (adding 'Ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"' to the vmx config file), but I just want to understand what exactly happens under the hood when in a 64 Bit environment the pcnet32 and vmxnet modules load perfectly, which usually isn't possible. Can anyone explain this in detail to me? I am sure the amd64 Lenny installed a true 64 Bit system with 64 Bit userland. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot

Tilman

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I fixed this (adding 'Ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"' to the vmx config file), but I just want to understand what exactly happens under the hood when in a 64 Bit environment the pcnet32 and vmxnet modules load perfectly, which usually isn't possible. Can anyone explain this in detail to me? I am sure the amd64 Lenny installed a true 64 Bit system with 64 Bit userland. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct, under the hood, 64bit Other Linux does not change the network type to e1000 but leaves it as flexible. You still have to do this step by hand. In Some Linux's e1000 is not required and does work.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill