VMware Cloud Community
TedAppleberry
Contributor
Contributor

Adding CPUs after Install

I just brought up a 2008r2 64 bit server in the my 3 host (6 CPU) config. This machine is slow as heck, I know doubling the RAM will help but what can I do to maximize speed in the CPU area? Virtual sockets and cores are both currently set to 1 and yes the CPU utilization is pegged at 100% These are pretty new Dell R710 hosts but I just looked at the configuration in  vSphere and it tells me processors sockets = 1, cores per socket=4 and logical processors=8.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Virtual Machine & Guest OS

You can add a second vCPU to a 2008 R2 VM by shutting it down and making those changes. Windows itself will need no additional changes made. With the host processor setup you describe, this will be fine.

Just out of curiosity - What is consuming the CPU? I have many many 2008 R2 single vCPU VMs that have no issues.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can try to hot add cpus, if you cant afford downtime. Before that while the vms are running, look at esxtop,and select V to see the VMS utilization of cpu. This is to confirm that no other process is hogging the cpu

0 Kudos