VMware Cloud Community
gbtaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning Windows Server 2008 R2 Running SQL 2008 R2?

In a perfect world, I would like to clone my production accouting VM so that we can test an upgrade that just came out.  I would like to clone the Windows 2008 R2 server with a different name.  This server is running SQL Server 2008 R2 also and has our accounting databases running on it.

I was thinking about cloning the server with a different name and then using my backup software to restore the databases so as to give me point in time transactions.

Not sure if this is the best way to do this.  I might be better off creating a new server, installing SQL and restoring the databases to that newly created instance.

This is temporary so that I can test the upgrade and validate the data.  Once satisfied, we will upgrade the production VM.

This is all running on Vsphere version 5.

Can someone guide me through this?

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi and welcome to the communities and almost to the perfect world Smiley Happy

would like to clone the Windows 2008 R2 server with a different name.

Of course you can. If you have a VC, it would be quite the easy walk in the park, if you dont, still its an easy method.

This server is running SQL Server 2008 R2 also and has our accounting databases running on it.

I would suggest that once you clone the VM, try to keep the VM in a separate vswitch with no uplink so that the existing db reference will not be affected.

Not sure if this is the best way to do this.  I might be better off  creating a new server, installing SQL and restoring the databases to  that newly created instance.

This is temporary so that I can test the upgrade and validate the data.  Once satisfied, we will upgrade the production VM.

Another easy method would be, "If you can take a small downtime",

1. Take the snapshot of the Virtual machine and name as "Before applying upgrade"

2. Apply the upgrade,. Test it out, wear it our. If you are satisfied,.

3. Start using the snapshot as base going forth.

4. If after applying upgrade, if you find anything suspectful, always revert to the snapshot before the upgrade.

gbtaylor
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the feedback.  I know that I can easily clone the production server.  I guess I am uncomfortable with the details.  I will need this test clone vm  up and running for a week or so in tandum with the production vm.  I don't understand how I can simply bypass the license key part of the clone due to Windows licensing.  I also would like to discuss how I would clone this vm since it has a production SQL database running on it.  If I clone it to a different Windows name, the databases will still reference the old server name etc.

I guess I could clone it and restore the databases to it with a different name but again I don't understand how licensing would work doing this.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I also would like to discuss how I would clone this vm since it has a production SQL database running on it.  If I clone it to a different Windows name, the databases will still reference the old server name etc.

Well, that is the reason, I had asked to put the cloned VM in a separate vSwitch with no uplinks. This way it will not have any communication with the outside world and your existing db server will continue its operation. You can test the upgrade functionality in the clone, by creating some clients and stimulating some workloads.

.  I don't understand how I can simply bypass the license key part of the clone due to Windows licensing.

You might need to do a sysprep More information here.

VMware does provide cloning in running VM.

Other simple option would be that of snapshot. This way you wouldnt have to worry about licensing and all.

0 Kudos