VMware Cloud Community
Noons201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Coldclone4 first time fail

Hello,

I am new to Virtulization, I have successfully created my first ESX host and installed 2 x VM from template.

Last night I attempted to coldclone a 2003 server, all seemed to go well, able to import drive size ect and it found the host however it failed at 2% and was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot the issue.

I have included the log file but below line seems to report issue

2011-03-09 05:05:17.359 'P2V' 428 error] [task,296] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.PlatformError)

Server: ML370 g4

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum. The logs have this error which suggest a networkin issue.  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004615  Do you have a direct network connection to the ESX(i) host?  Are you using vCenter Converter?  How large are the disks that you're trying to import?

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there, lookin at your log file I found the error 5666 while the agent was cloning the disk.

Sometimes this is due to misconfiguration of specific devices like network cards or due to the inconsitency of your disk or, last but not least,'casue converter find hybernation files not expected.

this KB "http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100461..." may help you but I would try this:

1) look for hybernation files on the disk and eventually remove all of them

2) clone the VM without the network cards selected

3) remove the pagefile from all the disks that do not contain OS.

Alex

0 Kudos
Noons201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for the replys.

I will try what is suggested although need to wait till out of hours to take the physical server offline.

The article regarding the speed and duplex was interesting as these were changed yesterday after the ESX installation. However the switch port were changed from 100 half to 100 full and I have amended the vnics accordingly as these were also set to 100 half (I guess this auto detected during ESX installation).

Do you think it is worth changing the Vnics to auto detect to try and rule out a speed problem?

Do you have a direct network connection to the ESX(i) host?  Yes

Are you using vCenter Converter? Yes

How large are the disks that you're trying to import? 29gb and 350gb

1) look for hybernation files on the disk and eventually remove all of them - Will try

2) clone the VM without the network cards selected - I tried this, also failed

3) remove the pagefile from all the disks that do not contain OS. - No pagefile on other disk

0 Kudos