VMware Cloud Community
makking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NT4 vm upgrade to Win2003 vm BSOD

I am running some upgrade scenarios, and running into an issue. If anyone can provide insight, it would be appreciated.

Running VMWare ESX Server 3.0.1, upgraded from 2.5 (ESX upgrade fine)

Client: Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0.1

VM: NT4, SP6a, Primary DC, 1 vCPU, plenty of disk space.

Trying to run an in-place Upgrade to Win2003 Server Standard Edition. The upgrade wizard kicks off fine. Notification window pops up that says: "Your computer has a mass storage device that is not supported by Windows. Setup was unable to migrate the driver for this device. You might need to provide the Manufacturer-supplied support disk for this device during the next phase of setup."

Click OK, and copying files continues. Reboots automatically, tries to automatically start Win2003, then BSOD Stop. Any ideas? Do I need to supply some kind of driver somewhere, somehow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can get the drivers here: http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

Once you have downloaded the file, you'll copy the FLP file up to your ESX host - anywhere on the VMFS partition will be fine. Then edit the setting for the VM, click on the floppy driver and choose to use an floppy image file. You can then browse to the location where you copied the file to.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do a search on the BSOD. My guess is you are getting Innaccessible boot device, which means the VM Ware SCSI driver isn't isntalled.

Mount the device floppy inside the VM, and manually install the driver (copy to local VM disk) before you reboot.

Then start W2K3 in Safe Mode, and see if you can update the SCSI driver.

makking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, but I am pretty new to VMWare. How/where do I get the vm scsi adapter and where does it need to be copied to? Also, how do I use the virtual floppy (it is asking me for a flp file - what is that?)? Thank you for your help!!!!

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can get the drivers here: http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

Once you have downloaded the file, you'll copy the FLP file up to your ESX host - anywhere on the VMFS partition will be fine. Then edit the setting for the VM, click on the floppy driver and choose to use an floppy image file. You can then browse to the location where you copied the file to.

0 Kudos
makking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked like a charm! Thanx to everyone for all your great suggestions - they are very much appreciated.

CHEERS!

0 Kudos