VMware Cloud Community
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V a Dual- boot server

As a general rule is it not possible to convert a physical machine with dual-boot (multiple O) specifically

Windows 2003 and Windows 2008? I know that 2008 isn't included in boot.ini.

I am getting error: "FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible."

thank you :smileycool:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you will need is vCenter Converter Boot CD (VMware vCenter Converter Boot CD) this will allow you to performa cold clone. When the physical

machine is booted from the vCenter Converter Boot CD, the Converter application runs on WinPE. It uses a RAM disk for its operations and leaves no footprint on the physical machine. This will allow you to image the entire physical hard disk without having to interact with either installed O/S.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

-

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums? Are you trying to do a hot clone or cold clone - I think the only way you would be able to do this is by doing a cold conversion - in other words booting to the standalone cd -

jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank s for the reply.

I was running the standalone vmconverter on another machine trying to convert a running server with a single SATA disk that multi boots into

different OS's.

It has 3 partitions: win 2008-C: , win2003-D: ,win 2008 R2- E: .

Further complicated by the fact that 2008 ins't in boot.ini.

I have tried different combinations of disk selections when converter gets to the part of what disk to include in the conversion and it

always fails. I didnt try the cold boot off of a cd/dvd, but sounds like another thing to try.

I just wanted to know if this is something that you generally cannot do because of multiple operating systems on one disk.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you will need is vCenter Converter Boot CD (VMware vCenter Converter Boot CD) this will allow you to performa cold clone. When the physical

machine is booted from the vCenter Converter Boot CD, the Converter application runs on WinPE. It uses a RAM disk for its operations and leaves no footprint on the physical machine. This will allow you to image the entire physical hard disk without having to interact with either installed O/S.

0 Kudos
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I forgot about that converter boot CD. They mentioned it in the VI3 class I

attended few years ago, but I just always used the "hot" clone utility to convert which

wasn't a problem because every computer only had one OS installed. I am doing

this in my home lab and I dont have a lot of physical machines.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot obtian the VMware vCenter Converter Boot CD as all the VMware products I am using are

evaluations. VMware won't allow the vCenter Converter Boot CD as an eval download.

Bummer

0 Kudos
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did find this as an alternative way of creating a converter boot CD:

http://www.ardamis.com/2009/04/25/cold-cloning-vmware-converter

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

interesting link Smiley Wink

I am the author of that livecd-kit - if you need help - just ask in the converter section of this forum

Ulli

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
jlfrontier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thnak you. You really did a nice automating the whole ISO creation process and I'm impressed !!

0 Kudos