VMware Cloud Community
knutsig
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion running OSX Leopard

I am trying to hold some presentations and courses, but this gives me some sort of a slight problem. I am running OS X Snow Leopard on a MacBook, but am in need of using OS X 10.5 Leopard from time to time. This gives me the problem that I would have to install two versions of OSX and a version of Windows XP, and booting is a solution that is rather unwanted.

The question is as following:

Is there any way I could use Fusion (or any other piece of software for that matter) to run OS X Leopard as a virtual machine on my MacBook? The software I am supposed to train people in require Leopard...

Thanks for any answers.

-Knut S

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - According to the Guest O/S Compatability guide http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software it should not be a problem to build a VM using OS X as its operating system.using VMware Fusion -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

To clarify, only OSX Server is allowed to be run in a virtual machine. And said virtual machine must be run on Apple hardware. This is a limitation of Apple's EULA. At this time, OSX desktop is not allowed to be run as a virtual machine at all. The Compatibility Guide mentioned previously shows that both server and desktop versions of OSX are supported as hosts, but only server versions of OSX are supported as guests, which is all VMware can do officially until Apple changes their EULA. (And currently OSX Server guests are only supported as Fusion virtual machines until VMware changes and supports such virtual machines in Workstation & Player in Boot Camp on Apple hardware.)

0 Kudos