VMware Cloud Community
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V fails with: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT

Hope this is the right forum. I'm am trying to P2V a Vista PC for some testing here. I am currently running a VMware ESX 3.5 server with an NFS share on a Widnows 2003 server for more storage. I am pretty sure the NFS share on is setup correctly on the Windows side, I followed a guide, mapped the root account and it's working just fine for creating new VM's through the infrastructure client. But when I try to P2V a pc to the NFS storage, I get the following error in the log during the "Formatting target volume c:" process :

P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ImageProcessingTaskFault)

I can post the whole log if anyone wants it. But, the thing is, If I P2V it to the local raid array on the ESX server, it works fine. I can then MOVE the VM to the NFS storage location from the Infrastructure Client, and all is well. Did I miss something, Is this not supported somehow? Need more details?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are other threads with a conversion failing with windows as a backend. (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/136044)

You may want to open an SR with vmware to confirm.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any takers? Is this the wrong forum?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post your log. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference, but I haven't run a P2V to an NFS datastore.

-KjB

0 Kudos
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No problem, here ya go Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How big are the disks of the VM you are trying to import?

-KjB

0 Kudos
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's only an 80GB, but I was setting it to convert it to a 30GB during the P2V. But it doesn't make a difference whether I leave it a 80 or try and squeeze it to 30, same error. I have 650GB free on the 2003 server. (It's basically being used as a NAS since AD integration is real easy Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you see any errors on the windows side? This should work. When you run your P2V, are there any errors in hostd.log, vmkernel, or vmkwarning?

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are other threads with a conversion failing with windows as a backend. (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/136044)

You may want to open an SR with vmware to confirm.

-KjB

0 Kudos
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You know what? I think I am having EXACLY the same problem. Although I thought I left the target volume size the same for the P2V just as a test, apparently, I did NOT. I just tried it, now mine is working, too. I will post I link to this thread in the other thread. I don't think we have a support contract as we are just a partner. Is there any way that we can get the engineers t look at this anyhow?

0 Kudos
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So is it possible to open a support ticket being just a partner?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a license, you can open a ticket.

-KjB

0 Kudos
madhopsman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool, thats what I am going to do then. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos