VMware Cloud Community
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ubuntu - removing vCPUs?

Hi All

Ive got a Ubuntu Linux (64 bit) VM which currently has 2vcpus and i want to reduce this back to 1, anyone done this without issue?

Ive done many windows boxes, but not a ubuntu before, what are the steps?

Thanks

Stewart

Stew
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thakala
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can simply shut down VM, reconfigure VM to have 1 CPU and reboot, that is all that is required. But please note that 64-bit kernel will always show "SMP" tag even though VM would have only one CPU.

If you wish to get best performance out of your 1 CPU Linux add "divider=10 nosmp noapic nolapic" kernel parameters to grub.conf and reboot, visible difference might not be huge but on heaviliy loaded ESX host VM ready time% will drop quite significantly.

Tomi http://v-reality.info

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware part is easy, just et it to one vCPU.

Depending on the kernel you have (uniprocessor or multiprocessor) you need to change it.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yeah, vm part is easy. How do i tell what kernel it has? and then how do you change it?

Stew
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can see it by using "uname -a". You may have alrady a uniprocessor kernel at hand. If you boot the guest, you may be able to choose it from the boot menu.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hmm ok it says along the lines of :-

...server #1 SMP Tue Aug 18th......

So i guess the SMP means its symetrical multi processor. Reckon i should just change it in vmware and boot it and see what happens?

Stew
0 Kudos
thakala
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can simply shut down VM, reconfigure VM to have 1 CPU and reboot, that is all that is required. But please note that 64-bit kernel will always show "SMP" tag even though VM would have only one CPU.

If you wish to get best performance out of your 1 CPU Linux add "divider=10 nosmp noapic nolapic" kernel parameters to grub.conf and reboot, visible difference might not be huge but on heaviliy loaded ESX host VM ready time% will drop quite significantly.

Tomi http://v-reality.info
0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, done it now and its fine thanks all Smiley Happy

Stew
0 Kudos