VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vlans and Virtual machines

I'm am little confused and perhaps someone can help me understand.

I have managed to configure Vlans on the HP switch, for the Service Console and Vmotion, and server vlan (where all current servers reside)

I have new set of virtual servers, that need to be in a separate vlan from the server vlan, however will be using the same nics.

How will this work??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You can set VLANs to portgroups, not only for vSwitches. Add a second VM portgroup to your vSwitch (where VMs are now connected) and configure a specific VLAN for each of the portgroups.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

this is a simple task.

Configure the physical switch port where the physical nic of the esx(i) host is connected in trunk mode. Then configure a new/old portgroup with the needed VLAN ID that is connected to a vSwitch that is connected to the physical nic i just commented before.

Now the vm's associated to this new portgroup would be working in the pertinent vlan with vlan tagging. The vlan tagging is done at the esx(i) level.

Just remember to be careful if the service console is connected to the same physical nic that this new portgroup. Then the service console portgroup must be using vlan tagging too. If you don't configure it in the right way, you will lost administration access to the esx(i) host and some weird issues can happens.

Anyway the best way (secure & easy) is that this new portgroup is connected to a diferent physical nic that the esx(i) service console. Then the service console (and all related stuff) never will be affected with this new portgroup configurations.

Hope this helps you Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

• Create new VLAN in pSwitch

• Add pSwitch port connected to same vmnic as a member to your new VLAN too

• If you're using HP Pro-curve, you can set this port PVID equal to "1" (native vlan)

• Create new port group and set VLAN ID equal to your new created VLAN ID in pSwitch & you should be ok after that

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos