VMware Cloud Community
marcos82
Contributor
Contributor

guest OS certification

Hello,

we use Debian etch for about 200Vms but it is not certified OS... i have 2 questions:

1) Do Vmware plan to certificate Debian OS? Why not ?

2) If we convert them to Ubunt Vmware intend to future support this OS? As i see version 8.04 it is not yet certified.. when can be expected?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Hello,

we use Debian etch for about 200Vms but it is not certified OS... i have 2 questions:

1) Do Vmware plan to certificate Debian OS? Why not ?

It is VMware's policy to not comment on things like "when will you release", "what new features are added", etcetera... So you will not have much luck that way I'm afraid.

But you can add your vote to the feature request forum.

2) If we convert them to Ubunt Vmware intend to future support this OS? As i see version 8.04 it is not yet certified.. when can be expected?

Support for new versions always takes a little while before they are added as supported guests. The "it is ready when it is ready" type of thinking. Probably not what you want to hear.

--

Wil

Thanks

>

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
marcos82
Contributor
Contributor

uhm.. not so useful... how can i uderstand if i can invest in ubuntu or not?

things like "when will you release", "what new features are added" i think it is not correct in the moment that " we pay a lot of money " ....

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

uhm.. not so useful... how can i uderstand if i can invest in ubuntu or not?

If the only requirement is to have a certificated, then you'll have to be a bit patient before it gets certified. Not always easy I know.

OTOH, the OS works just fine without the certification as far as I know.

As Ubuntu has been added to the official list of supported systems for a while, I would not think that VMware would remove it as it would upset (and likely defect) quite a few customers if they did. Sorry I'm not aware of "official statements" in that regard, maybe someone else here has.

things like "when will you release", "what new features are added" i think it is not correct in the moment that " we pay a lot of money " ....

Well... releasing before it is ready is quite popular with other suppliers that charge "a lot" as well and then you end up with something that doesn't work.

Personally I prefer VMware's policy over the pre-releasing policy.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

1) This is a community forum - we dont know such things Smiley Happy You shoudl ask your VMware rep, though I suspect its because Debian is a relativly niche player, with RH and SUSE (and now Oracle) owning the bulk of the market.

2) Again, thats a Q for your rep. Why not go to a more mainstream distro like SuSE or CentOS or RedHat?

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos