VMware Cloud Community
kmkswamy
Contributor
Contributor

is there any limit on the number of instances started from a single source vmdk ?

Hi,

Is there any limit on the number of Virtual machine instances started from a single vmdk(golden) ?

is it os dependent? (i dont think would be present)

any parameters that would affect the limit.

Mani,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, think a little clarification is needed here (Also, what product are you using?):

If you asking how many virtual machines can be started using the same virtual disk file (vmdk) then without using linked clones I wouldn't have anything more than one.

Or are you asking how many times can you deploy a virtual machine from a single golden image/template? The answer to this one is down to the resources you have available, there is no limit imposed by VMware. Guest (MS etc..) licenseing permitting of course Smiley Happy

Your next question regarding if the golden image is OS dependent - a golden image is normally a term used to refer to your master build that you deploy virtual machines from. Therefore, it is OS dependent as it's got an OS on it.

If I've misunderstood your question then let me know and I'll try my best to help! Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
kmkswamy
Contributor
Contributor

The case i am operating is

1. create a master VMDK

2. when i need to start a vm instance i create a snapshot of the master at a new location and start the vm from that snapshot.

this process (step 2) is done when ever a new vm request comes.

there are certain drawbacks in this approach which are addressed by us.

3. recently i faced a problem where no new machine were not able to start from the fresh snapshot. so i had to make a copy of the master vmdk with new name and the process went with out any problems.

I need to find the reason why the problem in 3 occured. I faced this problem twice with windows and once with rhel 5 32-bit.

I want to know if there is any limit on vm's starting from snapshots.

if there is anyting which your do not get just tell me.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you have not told us which VMware version you use ....

In case you are talking about WS or Player you should be able to run a whole bunch of linked clones.

anyway - we need more input to give better answers Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kmkswamy
Contributor
Contributor

presently we are using esx 3.5 but would be moving to vSphere down the line.

what would be the details which you require.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

well one important missing piece was your host version - we know that now Smiley Wink

How do you create the linked clones EXACTLY ?

Which error messages did you get when starting too many clones at once ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kmkswamy
Contributor
Contributor

the whole process is done through scripts:

snapshot is created by using the command

vmware-cmd < vmx file > createsnapshot <name> <description> quiesce <memory>

and later all the required parameters are added to the snapshot vmx file like ip etc and thesnapshot is registered and started.

The error which i got when starting the VM from snapshot is that, the new snapshot was not able to read the OS disc and is stuck at boot agent.

but later when i used the new VMDK i am able to run quiet a high number of VM's.

I still doubt that it is a limit problem.

0 Kudos