VMware Cloud Community
jonbeardsley
Contributor
Contributor

"File not found .vmdk - this file is required ..." but it exists error

Hi,

I had a VMware crash earlier today and now when I try and start the vmware up, I get the following message (workstation 6.5) "File not found: Linux.vmdk. This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved please provide its new location".

However the file is still in the directory, and when I browse to the same file, the error message re-appears.

I do have a generated vmware.log file from the time of the problem. Is there anyway that I can get the vmware machine back up and running ? The log file seems to imply that one of the VMDK files was corrupted or ran out of space (120GB free on the host drive).

Thanks,

Jonathan,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Looks like the vmdk file is corrupted. Not much you can really do apart from try and add it as a secondary drive to another vm but personally i think it's gone.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
jonbeardsley
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean the linux.vmdk file or one of the actual machine files - the log says Linux-s004.vmdkmay be corrupt, and on closer inspection that file doesn't exist anymore in the directory .... I'm guessing that this is a bad sign unless I can get a copy of that file and maybe some of my vmware information will still be intact ...

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the linux vmdk file. The error logs show the drive ran out of space so the file scouldnt be created and hence why it isn't there anymore. Possibly try move the files to another location or free up some space on the drive the files are on and try restart the machine.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

why don't you post in the WS-section ?

anyway try vmware-vdiskmanager -R against the corrpted vmdk

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos