VMware Cloud Community
VAs_RHD_Hachi_R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm restore help!!!!!

I hope someone replies and can point me in the right direction, the problem is this. I have a full backup of a vm on my VBC server using Symantec Backup Exec 11d, I did a restore to the VCB and all the files are sitting on the hard drive. How do I restore the VM to the ESX 3.5 server? I tried to do it in VC Server 2.5 using the converter plugin but it says it can not recognize the .vmx file. What I did on the ESX we delete all the VM files since this is my test enviroment and I want to just restore the files so the VM will work again.

I need some guidenance on how to get the backup from the VCB to the ESX server.

Thanks

www.ectoyotas.com

www.ectoyotas.com
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

You are following the corrct process.

Double check you've entered the correct path to the vmx file including the actual filename.vmx

I assume you have a UNC share on the VCB server which you're using during the restore. Ensure you have access to this from the VirtualCenter server.

0 Kudos
VAs_RHD_Hachi_R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes the VCB has a UNC shared out, with full access & also added the everyone to the security group with full access since this is a test lab I dont care and wanted to make sure it wasnt a permission problem, which i didnt think it was. Here is a screen shot of the error I get. The OS is a 2003 Server R2.

Here is a screen shot of the error, and the All Users log file, the other path did not have any log files.

vmware-converter-client-0.txt

Log for VMware Converter Enterprise Client, pid=284, version=4.0.0, build=build-62386, option=Release, section=1

Current working directory: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Plugins\Converter Enterprise

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 1 numThreadsPerCore 2.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 2 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 4 logical CPUs.

P2V logger created

Initialize SSL

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000

SSL context created

AppInit completed

Starting execution of a Task

Making sure that UFAD interface has version vmware-converter-4.0.0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs vvcs01.ki.com

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

* The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

UFAD interface version is vmware-converter-4.0.0

Task execution completed

Connecting to host vrgnvcskwtn001 on port 443 using protocol https

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs vvcs01

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

* The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Task execution completed

Making sure that UFAD interface has version vmware-converter-4.0.0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs VMware vs vvcs01.ki.com

UFAD interface version is vmware-converter-4.0.0

Task execution completed

QuerySourceInfo called

Successfully connected to VMImporter

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs vvcs01.ki.com

Task failed: P2VError UNABLE_TO_DETERMINE_GUEST_OS()

vmware-converter-client-index

vmware-converter-client-config

- <Config>

- <log>

<directory>C:\Documents and Settings\jp\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VMware Converter Enterprise\Logs</directory>

<name>vmware-converter-client</name>

<outputToConsole>false</outputToConsole>

<level>info</level>

</log>

- <vmacore>

- <threadPool>

<TaskMax>15</TaskMax>

<IoMax>31</IoMax>

<IoMin>1</IoMin>

</threadPool>

</vmacore>

</Config>

www.ectoyotas.com
0 Kudos
VAs_RHD_Hachi_R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UPDATE!!!

I downloaded VMWare Converted 3.0.2 (starter) and it worked using the backup files on my VBC, now the VM is up and running.

What is the difference between the VC Server 2.5 Pluging & VMWare Converter 3.0.2 (starter) that I installed, minus it being a standalone application I thought they were suppose to do the same thing only difference is its an intergrated plugin into VC Server.

www.ectoyotas.com

www.ectoyotas.com
0 Kudos