VMware Cloud Community
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to version 4 or 4.1

Hello all!

Well the time has come to upgrade to latest version of ESX and Virtual center.

Currently we use:

2 x ESX 3.5 version

1 x VmWare Infrastructure server V3

Now I would like to upgrade to vSphere.

For hosts I would like to use ESXi version 4.1. Are the "i" versions able to connect to VSphere vCenter server?

Now I would need licences for vCenter server, my ESX`es have each 2 quad core CPU`s. So that means I need 4 licences to cover my 2 ESXi servers and plug them in to vCenter server right?

Thanks for all replies!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have an active support contract, with VMware, your licenses should have already been upgraded to the vSphere model. There is not reason that you cannot upgrade to ESXi; however, it won't be and "in place" upgrade, the way that ESX is. However, if you're going through the upgrade process now, you may as well move to ESXi, as VMware has stated that 4.1 is the final version that will use ESX. All future version will run on ESXi.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to upgrade to vCenter 4.1, which requires a 64bit version of Windows.

-Jon-

VMware Certified Professional

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

First of all thank for reply!

We do not have active support contract, so our licences were not upgraded. We will buy it now.

Is x64 required for vCenter 4.1? Or is there a way to install it on 32 bit server?

For upgrade I was thinking in way:

1. Backup all VM with VCB

2. Install ESXi 4.1

3. Use VmWare converter to put VM`s back on

4. Upgrade VmWare tools

5. UpgradeVmWare virtual machine version

Is this correct procedure?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is x64 required for vCenter 4.1? Or is there a way to install it on 32 bit server?

Yes! However you can install vCenter Server as a virtual machine on one of your hosts.

For upgrade I was thinking in way ...

... Is this correct procedure?

Sounds like a possible way to do that with only local datastores.

Did you already check the HCL to make sure your hosts are supported for vSphere 4.1.

Take a look at the vSphere Essentials packages. They come with a vCenter Server license and CPU licenses for up to 3 hosts with 2 CPU's each. Depending on the features you need, you could probably save a lot of money.

see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf for details

André

GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

We have HP Proliant DL380 G5 servers they are are supported.

What about VCB, do we get VCB with Essentials package?

Regards

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

What about VCB, do we get VCB with Essentials package?

Yes... VCB is the same of vSphere 4.0.

But note that is near his end-of-life:

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you're planning to do an upgrade, and you've scheduled down time, why not just export the virtual machines to a file server or external drive? This will take VCB, and converter, out of the equation. You can then upgrade your hosts to ESX/ESXi 4.1 and in then import the virtual machine files once you have everything setup. To me VCB is just adding an unneccessary step to your upgrade. If you were using shared storage it would make your upgrade much easier, as you could migrate the VMs to the other host, and do an in place upgrade.

-Jon-

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

What if I unregister them, then copy all VM directories to fileserver, do upgrade copy VMs back and register them?

Will this do it?

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you browse the datastore, where you have your virtual machines, you will see that there is an option to export them. I would unregister them first, then browse the datastore and use the export option.

-Jon-

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Huh I don`t have that option there...

But what I tried is that:

1. Unregister 1 machine

2. Transfered vmx and VMDK files to new test 4.1 ESXi

3. Registered VM and powered it on

4. Install Tools

5. Upgrade VM to version 7

Thats it!

It worked like a charm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is what I was explaining. The option, I believe, used to be called "export". I'm glad everything worked out for you.

-Jon-

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again!

I just need another confirmation...

We have 2 X DL380 G5 servers.

I have to download Optional binary with HP customisation to get System Management homepage and monitoring software right?

I cannot install anything on "i" version.

But I can only see 4.0 for HP. Is there version 4.1 for HP that I`m missing?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not familiar with the HP monitoring agents, however, you should be able to install them in ESXi. I would imagine that HP has some documentation for this. I have my Dell OpenManage agents installed on my ESXi 4.1 servers. Keep in mind, with ESXi, you're just installing the agent. You'll need a management console somewhere to view the status reports from that agent. ESXi will not allow you to host the systems management page on the ESXi server.

-Jon-

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

On the drivers download area on the HP hompage you will find everything you need for the HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Server series

If not already selected, select "English (international) USA" as the language to see all downloads.

André

EDIT:

I cannot install anything on "i" version

For ESXi you cannot install the management homepage. There are only the HP CIM providers (ESXi Offline Bundle ) which can be installed to monitor the system in HPSIM.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

If you rather stay with ESX for the upgrade then I would do so... While 4.1 may be the last version of ESX, that does not mean it will be unsupported once the new version comes out. There are many people who will never migrate to ESXi until some other features are available or have yet to migrate their own monitoring tools or third party monitoring tools to ESXi. If you can, great, but be aware you still have the option.

I for one am testing ESXi and my security/monitoring configurations until I am satisfied, then will migrate to ESXi from ESX.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos