VMware Workspace ONE Community
Chamac45
Contributor
Contributor

Best Practices departing employees

We have just started supervising iPhone devices using DEP and we still have a hybrid environment. Part of the reason we started supervising devices using DEP was to avoid the activation lock issue.   My question is this, can a supervised DEP phone be activation locked?  What is the best practice for both supervised and unsupervised devices when an employee leaves? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
trobertson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chamac45,

I believe what you are searching for is actually supervised vs. unsupervised.  I've been down this same path for the reason you stated.  I purchase a majority of my iOS devices through Verizon which is setup with DEP.  Other devices I've enrolled via Apple Configurator which is a little more task intensive.

I'll place a link below that helps explain the differences between supervised & unsupervised.  In Workspace ONE UEM you can review a device and within the Summary/Security you can see if a device is Supervised or not.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/iOS_Platform/GUID-iOSFunctionalityMatri...

trobertson_1-1666300986348.png

0 Kudos
Chamac45
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I've updated the language.   In AirWatch what is the best practice for departing employees supervised device?   Do we need to worry about user-based activation locks or is that disabled on a supervised device?   

0 Kudos