VMware Workspace ONE Community
Paul741
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best practice for gmail/activesync deployment?

Hi, I have noticed that there are numerous options to deploy email accounts to devices (android, only for work, with launcher):
- I can use the global email section of workspace one...
- I can add gmail as public app and configure custom parameters from there(email, server, password...)...
- I can set a profile with the exchange activesync payload...
- and maybe others that I haven't found yet...

my question is what's a common/best practice if I want to deploy gmail with exchange/activesync mail boxes, sycronizing also calendar (so with a calendar app) and contacts?
Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi Paolo,

Once a device is enrolled as Android Enterprise (only for work), by default a managed version of Gmail gets installed within the Work Profile. In this case, I simply configured a profile with an Exchange payload to configure the user's mailbox with Gmail. I did have to publish both Calendar and Contacts but they get configured automatically based on the same profile.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Tom
0 Kudos
Paul741
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Thomas. At the moment I have used the custom parameters for the public app in the app & books section, I wodered if the payload would do the same thing or better... with custom parameters on the device I sometimes get the error ' cannot sync calendar and tasks' , even if I have deployed the two apps. I'll do some tests.
Thank you.
0 Kudos