VMware Workspace ONE Community
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Compatibility patch for upcoming Apple devices

I thought in the past you can almost always enroll the latest release of Apple devices even if you have not upgraded your AirWatch or Workspace ONE to a newer version. Am I correct?

If so, the upcoming ones must have something different that requires such compatibility patch to be installed first prior to enrollment.

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360009077393

Labels (1)
122 Replies
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brian, what holds you from upgrading to 9.6 instead of installing the patch?
You may already know general support for 9.2 ends on 2019/03/21.
0 Kudos
JamieAndersonJa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure. Right now I am waiting on AW to deploy the patch into one of their test environments. Who wants to bet that it installs flawlessly for them!!
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Folks, subscribe to Product Announcements to stay informed:  https://support.workspaceone.com/kb/product-announcements
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although be warned you will still need to periodically refresh the page they do not always issue updates when they update the page
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Jason, I'd re-run the patches on your app servers ( DS/Console ) also run this query against your SQL to make sure it's the right version:
SELECT * FROM database.version
You should see the .17 release info if all went right there
0 Kudos
jasonrothstein
Contributor
Contributor

Ran the SQL query and confirmed its 9.5.0 revision 17.  I am really loathe to run the installer on the front end again since it completed successfully.
0 Kudos
BrianAbbottBria
Contributor
Contributor

Thomas C. - Thanks for the reminder. If I don't hear any success stories for 9.2 I will probably upgrade to 9.6 and then apply the patch
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I've updated to 9.6.0.7 with no issues. All I can think is one of your servers didn't really take to the update. Are you suing ACC's? They needed updates afterwards as well. The DS is the most likely suspect though.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Luke you might want to look at updating to 9.6.0.8 check if https://kb.air-watch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009529754-AAPP-5931-Device-Wipe-fails-in-environments-... this applies to you because it can block device wipes unless you do an unpleasant workaround
0 Kudos
jasonrothstein
Contributor
Contributor

Luke we only have a single server on prem environment.  I have opened a case with Airwatch and they have requested the debug device logs, which I have sent over.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I saw 9.6.0.8 but I don't use Remote Management, so it's cool for me. Thx!
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I checked 9.6.0.8 had the fix  aapp5931 listed but you should probably check on others since they just added this to the apple getting ready for iOS 12 https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360004929434

Device Wipe functionality may fail in environments with Advanced Remote Management enabled and the new hardware compatibility patch applied.
and the fix notes were: Our product team has been engaged and is actively working to resolve the issue. The new hardware compatibility patch will be updated to include a fix for this issue and be released to resources portal for On-Premises customers. SaaS environments will be patched by our operations team.
So they are not necessarily patched for all the posted patches be sure to check in the list of patches shown in the instructions after you download it
0 Kudos
StefanGrimm
Contributor
Contributor

I just updated from 9.2.3_15 to 9.2.3_28 without any issues whatsoever. Everything ran smoothly, the services came up without problems and new iPhones (XS, XS max) can now be enrolled and seem to work correctly

0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So are we saying the patch didn't resolve the enrollment issue with XS and XS max??? Was support notified?
0 Kudos
MICHAELNICKELS
Contributor
Contributor

Stefan - you said ' and new iPhones (XS, XS max) can no be enrolled.'
Did you mean these devices can not be enrolled, or can now be enrolled? Please confirm if the new devices are working or not - many thanks!
0 Kudos
JimMalandruccol
Contributor
Contributor

I updated from 9.2.3.0 to 9.2.3.27 on our single server overnight and everything is working fine. Services automatically came back up and iPhone Xs and Xs Max both enrolled with no issues. Database Admin saw the following error when running the sql file but it ran successfully:
Warning! The maximum key length is 900 bytes. The index 'UQ_Application_PkgIdLGIdVerHshDevTypId' has maximum length of 1228 bytes. For some combination of large values, the insert/update operation will fail.
Create scheduled job AirWatch - ADP_Export
...cloudProfile.CloudProfileMetaData
...cloudProfile.CloudProfileTemplate
...DeviceSampleMask_MaskUpdate
...AppDeploymentConfiguration_DeleteDuplicateADPKeyForBoxer
We did have to rerun the sql file as the console install did not recognize the updated version. Second attempt was successful.
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone successfully enrolled a iPhone Xs or iPhone Xs Max with the latest AirWatch patch and seed script?   If so what version of AirWatch console?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

On 9.6.0.7 and enrolling new devices without issue.
0 Kudos
JimMalandruccol
Contributor
Contributor

9.2.3.27 and have several of the new devices enrolled no problem.
0 Kudos
jasonrothstein
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody on 9.5.0.17 and able to enroll new IPhones?
0 Kudos