VMware Workspace ONE Community
RobFedora
Contributor
Contributor

Problem launching desktop from linux.

I log in to my session.  I click Launch.  Then I get a message "Open xdg-open?".  I click that but nothing opens.  I've installed Horizon Client 5.4.1 but it doesn't launch when I click Open xdg-open.  I've manually opened Horizon Client but that didn't help.  Is there steps or configurations I'm missing?

Fedora 32

Google Chrome

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexAskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you ever tried another browser? Had the same with Chromium - this is very dependent to your distro unfortunately. What are you using?

0 Kudos
MyselfAndI
Contributor
Contributor

I realize this is a few months late, but since I spent a day figuring this out, might as well document it somewhere and hopefully help a soul.

Not sure what Linux distro you're using, but let's presume it's a vanilla Debian 10 with Google Chrome for browser, and you're using Workspace ONE to launch your virtual desktop.

Check to see if MIME type vmware-view is defined:

xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/vmware-view

You should get something like this:

vmware-view.desktop

If not, then define it like this:

xdg-mime default vmware-view.desktop x-scheme-handler/vmware-view

NOTE: It's likely the association will be created in the ~/.config/mimeapps.list file.

Now make sure the selected handler file (vmware-view.desktop) is available under /usr/share/applications/.

Use the following to run a quick test (Horizon client should launch, albeit with an error).

xdg-open vmware-view:

If desired, the vmware-view.desktop file can be copied to ~/.local/share/applications and modified, for example if launching the client through a SOCKS proxy, although I would recommend renaming it to something else, ex. vmware-view-socks5.desktop, and changing the vmware-view association.

0 Kudos