VMware Workspace ONE Community
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User already has MDM, now what?!?!?!

I have started my BYOD deployment.  Based on input from the group here, been keeping it simple with a BYOD OG and basically allowing people to install the apps they want from the catalog.  So got a good pilot user that just came to me.  They do work for a university in addition to our hospital.  From what I can gather, he has MaaS360 installed and Kronos that must be tunneling in to use or something for timekeeping.  He has the MaaS360 client on his phone.  Any thoughts on what I'm supposed to do now with a user setup like this?  Ideally want them to have access to our catalog and be able to install Boxer from it and have access to the browser and apps that we have that use the tunnel.  Not sure if this is possible.  I know from before you can't have two MDM's on the same device so before I start testing thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks.

Steve
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Steven, You can only have one MDM managing a device at a time so they would have to pick one or the other. Beth
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Beth.  My technical person at VM is always talking about some kind of ' light touch'  install that doesn't use the Hub app so wasn't sure if that was an option.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are looking to just supply them with access to email via Boxer without requiring enrollment, that is definitely possible. I'm not clear on the specifics or currently possess the technical knowledge to tell you how to but I'm sure you can search for the doc using keywords ' boxer standalone'  or something like that. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steven it sounds like you are looking to use MAM instead of MDM/UEM for that user. To my knowledge it still requires the Hub though so not sure if that will interfere with the MaaS360 or not though.
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Boe.  Can you install the hub without it trying to install any MDM profiles to the device?  Curious what a ' web'  enrollment would do.  I never tried that before but isn't that like an agentless enrollment or something?
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steven correct Web Enrollment would still be a full MDM enrollment just agentless. We have never done any MAM apps but when I did inquire about it we were told the Hub will still be needed so not sure exactly how it all deploys and if it will cause issues with the other MDM best I can suggest is try it out on a test device and see what all installs and when you have it up and working reach out to your user and try it.

As a company we require a full enrollment so we have told our users that if they are already in one MDM/UEM then they either need to choose or set up a second device (second phone, tablet, etc)
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Boxer standalone works fine if all you want is email access. They offer container, but that is going away in lieu of something called Hub Registration Mode.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Luke that must have been what they were referring to when we inquired about the option. Luke due you know if the ' Hub Registration Mode'  will work along side another MDM by chance?

0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two items.

1. When you do Boxer standalone you referring to like go download Boxer from your app store and when you enter your email address it will direct you to the right MDM?  Based on the domain?  Or enter the SEG info for the server details manually?

2. Any pointers to info on this Hub Registration Mode?
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This should help with The Boxer question, you still have to manage the app configuration via the console:   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2960462?lang=en_US
0 Kudos