VMware Workspace ONE Community
alouie397
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

any issues of adding there own google account in EMM

to anyone, is there any draw back of Android EMM enrollment corporate owned personally enable work managed enrollment type user based and allow the user to add there own gmail account in the Android OS 8.0 phone. In Settings-Accounts add there own google account to install there own apps.  If I used the Airwatch Console to device wipe the phone. During the re-enrollment will it ask for the users google account and password and cannot be re-enrolled or will I be able to re-enroll it back using afw#hub
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Abraham, your points are valid, but not all organizations are equal. You'd be surprised on how much this policy varies. COPE was designed specifically for this scenario and keeps the data separate. The employee is responsible for the ' Personal'  side.

Andy, no it will not ask for their ID. since it is not the device owner in the end.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are so many things wrong with that.  If you work for a large enterprise org like I do, that's the last thing you what the end user to do.  Why?   Because of app licensing for starters.  Users are always under the impression that they should be able to treat corporate owed devices like their personal.  We lock all that down.  That's what BYOD is for. We do not allow personal ITunes account, Google accounts, app downloads or music from any corporate devices.  We do get audited and the fines are huge.  Try explaining that to your CEO.  Also, there are apps you do not want on your corporate owned devices as they present a security risk.  We even send all requested apps to our security team to validate.  I am amazed at how many admins are treating MDM like it's a home solution and allow users to do what they want.  Our program here is very structured to avoid any of those issues.  Not sure how much support you receive from upper management, but I know it can be a challenge to make them understand MDM is not a mom and pop solution for user to do what they want.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Abraham, your points are valid, but not all organizations are equal. You'd be surprised on how much this policy varies. COPE was designed specifically for this scenario and keeps the data separate. The employee is responsible for the ' Personal'  side.

Andy, no it will not ask for their ID. since it is not the device owner in the end.

0 Kudos
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Luke, I totally agree.  There are so many strange setups out there.   Always nice to get positive feed back.  Lean something new every day.
0 Kudos
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andy,  I do have a question out of my own curiosity. So are these devices corporate owned, but employees are being allowed to use their personal account?  I just want to make sure I am understanding the use case in this situation.  We do have corporate phones that the org provided to the user to use as their own. However, the concerns are the same.  The laws are very clear on copy right, and licensing.  So just to give you an example, we provided certain staff with corporate owned phones to use as their personal device. However, it's still  corporate owned, and licensing laws still apply.  Just because the user is using the phone at their discretion we control apps and other functionality.  I am well aware of how Android works in MDM.  i am more interesting in hearing how you deal with licensing, copy right, security risk from certain apps, PHI etc..  Again, just interested on how others deal with these issues.   
0 Kudos
alouie397
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for the answer Luke,
Abraham, for my case study these device are corporate owned, but employees are being allowed to use there personal account google accounts.

Thank you everyone have a good day
0 Kudos
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andy, thanks for sharing.  Always Interesting to hear how other orgs manage their solution.  Have a nice week. 
0 Kudos
alouie397
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no worries Abraham, I like this forum where I can ask question and we help each other out. I'm new to Airwatch as the person who took care of Airwatch just left and Airwatch was dropped on my lap.
Have a good one.
0 Kudos
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ha!!!! same here!!!!  Had to learn and fix months over the past 6 months.  I feel your pain.
0 Kudos