VMware Cloud Community
Lexcom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU usage at 100% on guests after VMotion

Hi,

On ESX 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5 after I tell a ESX server to enter Maintenance mode, it VMotions all the VM's off (as it should with DRS), but then all the VM's go into 100% CPU usage. If I reboot the Virtual Center machine, then everything is ok again.

What is going on?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Jim, perhaps this KB article is related - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003638.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Jim, perhaps this KB article is related - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003638.

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

apply ESX3.5 Update 1 + Virtual Center Server 2.5 Update 1, the April-30 patch seems have brought back this problem again. so do NOT apply the 04-30-2008 patch.

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
Winter666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Like Dave said...

Had the same problem few days ago. This helps for me!

1. Log on to the VirtualCenter Server Console as an administrator.

2. Make a backup copy of the vpxd.cfg file (typically it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\vpxd.cfg).

3. In the vpxd.cfg file, add the following configuration between the <vpxd> and the </vpxd> tags:

<cluster>

<VMOverheadGrowthLimit>5</VMOverheadGrowthLimit>

</cluster>

This configuration provides an initial growth margin in MB-to-virtual machine overhead memory. You can increase this amount to larger values if doing so further improves virtual machine performance.

4. Restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service.

Note: When you restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service, the new value for the overhead limit should be pushed down to all the clusters in VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos