VMware Cloud Community
TimBee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Challenge: Configure a "Host Hardware Health" Alarm.

Hello,

I can't seem to configure a "Host Hardware Health" triggered Alarm. Whenever I select "Host Hardware Health" as a trigger, and click on "OK", I get an error box with the following text:"A Specified Parameter was not correct". I can create Alarms with other triggers, but "Host Hardware Health" fails every time.

Is anyone able to configure this type of Alarm?

Thanks for your assistance.

Tim.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
imok_ru
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure to use Trigger "Host Hardware Health" not equal to Normal. - Then, save it and then go back and configure as "equal to" Warning, Alert.

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yup, have configured host hardware health alarms and tested by removing redundant power cables.

Previous poster is right, it's a bit different to normal alerts - a change from normal is what you're monitoring.

Jon

0 Kudos
TimBee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I've installed the latest VirtualCenter Software (build 119598) and now I'm able to confige "Hardware Health Alarms". And it works great! I trigger the alarm when the Hardware Health status is "Not Equal to" normal.

I receive an e-mail message when the alarm is triggered. This may be obvious but don't forget to configure you SMTP settings in VirtualCenter: "Administration -> VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration -> Mail"

I've also tested it by unplugging my second redundant PSU cable.

Best Regards,

Tim.

0 Kudos
H_a_r_m_o_n_t
Contributor
Contributor

I still don't understand what I have to do. I can't set "Normal" both for Alert and Warning at "Triggers tab".

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe you want the Trigger to look like this:

Trigger Type

Condition

Warning

Alert

Host Hardware Health

Is Equal To

Warning

Alert

0 Kudos
H_a_r_m_o_n_t
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. It doesn't work like that. It is always saying "A specified parameter was not correct".

Guys above say that I should use "Not Equal To" in Condition column and "Normal" in Warning and Alert columns. But I can't use the same state in both of them. Also I can't get rid of one (warning or alert) of them.

0 Kudos
H_a_r_m_o_n_t
Contributor
Contributor

Could anyone help?

0 Kudos
shawnconaway
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same error. It looks like there is a certain combination of settings that need to be configured, but I can't find the combination.

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nope. It doesn't work like that. It is always saying "A specified parameter was not correct".

Guys above say that I should use "Not Equal To" in Condition column and "Normal" in Warning and Alert columns. But I can't use the same state in both of them. Also I can't get rid of one (warning or alert) of them.Logically speaking you should be able to trigger on either "hardware alerts not being normal" or "hardware alerts equal to warning or alert" since they're both the same thing. However, this seems like an error in Virtual Infrastructure Client. I'm running 2.5.0 build 119598 just like TimBee above and hardware alerts works fine.

0 Kudos