VMware Cloud Community
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor

Creating 64bit DSN on 32bit OS Win2008 MS SQL server?

I've been reading the vCenter Server setup guide and best practices documents here on the site but i'm still a bit confused, mainly because I'm not a DBA and none of my coworkers are either. Basically all I need to know is how to create a 64 bit system DSN on my MS SQL server running 32bit Windows 2008, if this is even possible. Maybe I have to use a 64bit OS for my SQL server? This is what i'm trying to figure out... the FAQ seems to assume you have DBA knowledge so its not working well for me.

Some background, we currently only have two ESXi hosts with a paid license key, along with 1 for the vCenter server. I think I would like to have the vCenter database on our SQL server to sort of future proof us if we add a bunch more hosts. Our SQL server is Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit with SP2 installed, running SQL Server 2008 Standard I believe, not sure what version but probably the first level that isn't free. We are a fairly small shop with only 450 users so we don't have a database administrator, and none of us have much knowledge on database administration. Maybe using our SQL server for hosting the DB is way overkill and we should stick using the vCenter server to host its own DB.

Can anyone throw a quick answer down for me here?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101040...

you can create DSN 32 on 64 OS.

"

ODBC drivers
Install the ODBC drivers.
  • For Microsoft SQL  Server database servers, install the 64-bit database ODBC drivers on  your Microsoft Windows system. When you install the 64-bit drivers, the  32-bit drivers are installed automatically.
  • For Oracle database servers, install the 32-bit database ODBC drivers on your Microsoft Windows system.
  • Run the 32-bit ODBC Administrator application, located at [WindowsDir]\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.
  • Use the application to create your DSN. You  will now have a DSN that is compatible with the Update Manager server.  When the Update Manager installer prompts you for a DSN, you should  select the 32-bit DSN.
Note:  The Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express database package is installed and  configured when you select Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express as your  database during the VMware vCenter Update Manager installation or  upgrade. No additional configuration is required.
"
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102210...
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply.

I'm a bit confused because the vCenter setup guide says the DSN MUST be 64 bit, but then the KB article you linked describes installing a 32 bit DSN... I don't have any DBA knowledge this is really not making much sense to me, but a lot of this documentation seems to contradict itself.

Since I only have about 35 VM's, 2 hosts, and probably won't go much bigger for several years I think i'll just try the self contained database on the vCenter server.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

here show how configure, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

but resume: Center requires 64bit as it is a 64 bit

*Download the 64 bit SQL native client and install.

1. Create an ODBC object (64 bit) under System DSN:  %systemdrive%\Windows\System32\Odbcad32.exe and use this for the VCenter  installation (it claims it needs a 64 bit ODBC object).

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos