VMware Cloud Community
carkuva
Contributor
Contributor

DRS configuration

Hello,

I'm working on setting up the DRS now. I want it to automatically place new vm on one of three hosts that has the most free resources(CPU now). Unfortunatelly, when i'm powering the vm on, DRS always recommends placing it on host that the image is already placed on, even if the host's CPU is used in 100%, and the other machine in the cluster is completly free. Do you have any ideas on how to make DRS to place the vm on host that has the most free resources?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt DRS would start the VM on a host where the CPUs were 100% utilized and remember DRS really does not load balance across the hosts in the cluster - its purpose is to insure resources are delivered to the VM -a solution would be to let the VM start on the host that has the load and vmotion it to one of the other hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
carkuva
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was we haven't had shared storage visible for all ESXi hosts in our cloud. Without it DRS will always place a new vm on one host, even when vMotion is enabled!

Now it works fine when i'm doing it manually via vSphere, but when i'm clonning and running my machines by using VMClone_Task method, it seems not to be aware of enabled DRS and still places vms on only one host - the one on which the orginal machine is placed. Do you know how to fix it? Maybe i should use some extra methods?

0 Kudos