VMware Cloud Community
JWEllis
Contributor
Contributor

Emailing vCenter Performance Stats

I have only a single ESX 4.0 host and vCenter 4.0 server in my DR environment to support DR for two of my production servers at the present time.

I am relatively new to the ESX environment and have been learning on the fly.

I can see the performance statistics for the ESX host server and the VMs deployed on the ESX Host server just fine but was looking for a method to email the performance data on a weekly basis to a Project Manager for inclusion into a weekly client report.  I can do a screen shot capture of the data manually but would prefer to automate the process.

The vCenter Server Settings for Mail have been configured and successful Telnet test from the vCenter Server to the SMTP Relay server has been completed.  I do not see nor have I read anything that tells me how to automatically send the performance stats to various email addresses on a regular basis.

Has anyone done this before?  If so, what did you do to accomplish this action?

Thanks,

JWEllis

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You cannot email these statistics automatically from vCenter - there is no built in feature.

There are 3rd party applications that can do this for you.

The SMTP settings that you mentioned are used for sending alerts (by email when alarms are triggered) - and these alarms have to be configured seperately.

Maish.

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
JWEllis
Contributor
Contributor

Maish – thanks for the information. I was hoping that was not the case but suspected it might be something that cannot be done automatically. Do you have any recommendations?

Respectfully,

Jerry Ellis | Systems Analyst | Federal Systems

Unisys | 480 N 2200 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84116 | Office: 801.594.5346 | Cell: 801.420.5032

THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert

VMware has a product that does the reporting on performance and capacity analysis - CapacityIQ

There are several 3rd party solutions that come to mind that can do the same

vKernel, Veeam and vFoglight are just a few of many.

Maish

VMware Communities Moderator

My Blog - @maishsk

Co-Author of VMware vSphere Design

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you do some looking you might found a PowerCLI that someone has already created for this.  Here's a sample - http://www.virtu-al.net/2009/11/04/vcheck-daily-report-v3/.

0 Kudos
JWEllis
Contributor
Contributor

Dave – thanks for the information and the link. The script is definitely helpful from the Admin side of the house but does not gather the information the PM needs to report to the client. I’ll keep looking.

Respectfully,

Unisys | 480 N 2200 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84116 | Office: 801.594.5346 | Cell: 801.420.5032

THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Since, your environment is so small and dave's suggestion is not helping oyu either, did you think just to take a print screen and send it to your PM.

Any ways, a graphical report always looks better in Reports Smiley Happy

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
JWEllis
Contributor
Contributor

That’s is how I’ve been doing it but should I be on vacation, in the middle of a major project or I just forgot to do the screenshots I wanted to ensure that the data was sent automatically on a weekly basis, ideally around the same time each week via a scheduled task function and that’s why I asked the question.

Respectfully,

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Here's another sample - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/271902.  If you have the time you could build something around the Get-stats cmdlet which you could export to Excel for formatting.

Veeam Monitor comes in a free edition but it doesn't included automated reporting (that's in the paid version).

0 Kudos