VMware Cloud Community
JuanValdez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to run citrix license server and VirtualCenter license server on same box

This is maddening. I'm trying to use an existing citrix license server (serving a functional citrix farm so I don't want to mess with it) and add a VirtualCenter license server to the same box. VMware wants to grab the citrix port (27000) when it comes up so there is a port conflict.

I've changed the vmware license file to point to 27001 and if I specify VirtualCenter to use host_ip:27001 it is okay but the hosts don't see the license server using hostname.domain and if I try to change the hosts license server to host_ip:27001 I get the error:

"Unable to change license state as the license server is not available"

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you modified the ESX firewall to allow outbound traffic on port 27001?

esxcfg-firewall -o 27001,tcp,out,License_Service

The text "License_Service" is optional.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you modified the ESX firewall to allow outbound traffic on port 27001?

esxcfg-firewall -o 27001,tcp,out,License_Service

The text "License_Service" is optional.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just a curiosity sake - wonder if you can simply let the Citrix license server handle the licenses?

They both are technically running the flexlm software (hence port 27000 conflict) just a variation on it. Makes me curious about trying to hack that...

0 Kudos
JuanValdez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good question. I originally tried putting the vmware license file in the citrix license directory. The doc states that it will read any license file in the specified directory when the daemon starts. That works as far as FlexLM is concerned but the VMware client doesn't seem to work. I did not try it the other way around but am just going to go with the kludgy port workaround and opening the correct outound port on the ESX hosts as the previous poster stated.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You would be unlikely to get the Citrix LM to take notice or serve VMware license keys as it is a very cut down version of the Product, VMware has a richer version but even that is not the fully feature rich version, now If you had a AutoCAD FlexLM server then I beleive you would be able to have a single license server instance out of the box with out any jiggery-pokery with ports etc.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos