VMware Cloud Community
cp15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Invalid guest after snapshot delete

All-

I ran into a little trouble. Was wondering if any you have seen this and if there is a fairly easy solution.

We have a Linux guest running in ESX 2.5up3 managed by VC 2.5up2. As a precaution I snapshotted the Linux guest in case something blew up with the new VMWare tools install. I figured I would go one further and clone the machine. So I deleted the snapshot. After deleting the snapshot the guest appears as "Guestname (Invalid)" in inventory and I cannot manage it. The guest is still up and running, thankfully, but I do need to take care of this quickly.

Anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks-

Chad Pranger

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmacdonaldnai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran into this same issue myself. I was able to resolve it by removing the vm from inventory and then browse the datastore the vm is on and reregister. The vm appeared in VC as valid and I was then able to boot it.

Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rmacdonaldnai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran into this same issue myself. I was able to resolve it by removing the vm from inventory and then browse the datastore the vm is on and reregister. The vm appeared in VC as valid and I was then able to boot it.

Rich

0 Kudos
cp15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did the the trick. Remove from inventory, SSH in and shut down to unlock the files, browse to vmx file, readd machine to inventory, power up. I think this happened due to the VMWare tools install being initiated during the snapshot operations.

Thanks-

Chad

0 Kudos