VMware Cloud Community
micklacey
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe a simple problem........

Hey im new to vmware as a whole and am setting up a small test environment........

basically i have Vcenter server installed on machine 192.168.51.55 and a client installed on machine 192.168.51.99.

I can add the 51.99 machine to the datacenter but cannot create a

datastore. The machine 51.99 has 2 mount partitions on its drive called

datastore01 and 02 respectively.

So when i select addd storage i choose Network File System, and input

the information as in attached pic. and get the error message

attached.....

Can anyone help how to configure the VMKernel???ive looked through documentation and the froum but couldnt find a specific example...... ?:|

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dmini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vmkernel needs to have a port on the same LAN (subnet) as the storage array,

Confirm its IP and subnet are correct. VMWare say you should be able to ping the vmkernel address from the network storage device.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can (should) create a new vswitch bound to another adapter in your system. This new vswitch will be configured as vmkernel (NAS Vmotion ISCSI). See attached images for simple howto. You can add vmkernel function to your existing vswitch but it is recommended that a dedicated vswitch/network be used.

0 Kudos
micklacey
Contributor
Contributor

the 51 vlan is not subnetted so i presume any ipaddress on this vlan would be ok????

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to add vmkernel functionality to your vswitch (In this case I guess you will be using vswitch0). See my earlier post and that will give you an idea how to do it.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am confuuse - is 51.99 a VM? What operating system is is running? The requirement for an NFS mount are specific - it must NFS cersion 3 over TCP with the no root squash parameter configured -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
micklacey
Contributor
Contributor

51.99 is the ip address of a machine running esx server 3.5. its an old server with an 80gb SATA drive just using it for testing at the minute. i can add the server to the datacenter in vcenter but it says that there is no persisent storage. i have creted a partition on the server called datastore01 and when i try to mount this in the storage tab i get the error above.

0 Kudos