VMware Cloud Community
Ivanildo_GalvÃ_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migate and clone options

I installed a trial vCenter Server on my network, it added two ESXi hosts, I realize I have two options to migrate and clone vms from one host to another.
The clone option allows you to create identical copy of a VM from one host to another host is that? Without turning off the virtual machine.

And the option to migrate this vm to move from one location to another, moving, literally, correct? It can be done with the virtual machine on?

In both cases, I need to create a resource pool or cluster?

Thanks

Ivanildo Galvão
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the Enterprise Strategy & Planning community to the vCenter Server community.

The clone option allows you to create identical copy of a VM from one host to another host is that? Without turning off the virtual machine.

Yes, this is correct.

And the option to migrate this vm to move from one location to another, moving, literally, correct? It can be done with the virtual machine on?

Also correct, and yes while powered on.

You will need to create a cluster and have shared storage set up to use vMotion (powered on migrate).  Resource pool creation is optional.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the Enterprise Strategy & Planning community to the vCenter Server community.

Yes, this is correct.

Also correct, and yes while powered on.

You will need to create a cluster and have shared storage set up to use vMotion (powered on migrate).  Resource pool creation is optional.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMroyal is correct about all his responses.. As he mentioned u dont need to have RP for this.. just wanted to add that clusters are also not a requirment for this.. Just as VMroyal pointed out, you can use shared storage for vMotion or even storage vMotion... and if u an affored to turn  the VM off, then u can do storage vMotion and vMotion all at once..

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos
Ivanildo_GalvÃ_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so even with the servers having their own internal disks?
Virtual machines are on the hard drive of each server and not on a storage type of SAN or NAS.

No problem?

Thanks

Ivanildo Galvão
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cloning can happen on the local disks, but vMotion absolutely requires SAN or NAS.  You can cold migrate (translated as powered off VM) on the local storage.

Ivanildo_GalvÃ_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, I will be very helpful.
Well, I'm currently making replica of the virtual machines using Veeam Backup & Replication, integrated into a trial that vCenter installed.
After I finish, I'll turn off the vms on the source server and connect the new ja replicated, will begin production in the customer environment.

Ivanildo Galvão
0 Kudos