VMware Cloud Community
esuarez78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick question: Are cold migrations still the way to go in a P2V?

Quick question:  Are cold migrations still the way to go when converting P2V on servers that SQL databases?  I'm looking for a quick answer/explination & possible link for documentation...well and any other help you can provide.  Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The latest VMware vCenter Converter BootCD is part of the VMware vCenter Server 4.0 Update 3 and module. I'm not sure whether this is included/accessible with e.g. the vSphere Evaluation

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For SQL server - or basically every server with "dynamic" data - I recommend to either cold convert or at least stop the services to ensure data consistency.

André

esuarez78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre.

The cold convert is via a boot CD correct? If so, where would I download the boot CD from?  Is it free like the standalone converter?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The latest VMware vCenter Converter BootCD is part of the VMware vCenter Server 4.0 Update 3 and module. I'm not sure whether this is included/accessible with e.g. the vSphere Evaluation

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... you may also want to take a look at http://sanbarrow.com/moa.html and build your own Converter CD.

André