VMware Cloud Community
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Template Disconnected

In Virutal Center 2.5, I have a template that is showing up as disconnected. There is no option to connect. If I right-click the template, I have minimal options and the only thing that isn't grayed out is "add permission..." In the SUMMARY tab, all options are grayed out. I don't recall seeing templates or VMs disconnected. I thought that only happened to Hosts. Any suggestions? Screen shot attached.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Cmeister
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent!

/sbin/service mgmt-vmware restart is the best way to regain connections to inventory items.

Thank you much!

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. Encoutered teh same issue witht he templates and after finding this post just rebooted teh VC server and back they came. Thanks to all for a great site!!

0 Kudos
vmdavinci
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue. After restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service the problem was solved.

0 Kudos
arthurdent78
Contributor
Contributor

just restart the mgmt-vmware service on the host that has the issue. much less disruptive than any of the other proposed methods and the host is only not available in the VC for 30 seconds or so.

looks like its an ongoing bug though as I have the latest version of everything and still got this problem. I hope that vSphere doesnt encounter this problem.

0 Kudos
bakker
Contributor
Contributor

look on witch host the templates are connected

After logging into the service console on that esx host I ran: sudo /sbin/service mgmt-vmware stop

then after 30 sec sudo /sbin/service mgmt-vmware start

this solved the problem and templates are good

0 Kudos
TungeK
Contributor
Contributor

We just experienced the same thing on our 3.5 cluster- we were able to resolve the problem by just restarting the Virtual Center service, nice n easy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nrhudso
Contributor
Contributor

I am glad there is a way to resolve the disconnected templates with the 2 different methods used, but has this been brought up to VM support yet? There is obviously a root cause to the problem and wouldn't it be easier to find out the underlying cause rather then restarting services every time this occurs. I would prefer to not have to restart services on a host or VC when attempting to create a new VM from template. I don't know about anyone else, but restarting any server services in our environment requires change management approval first so I would still opt for finding the root cause.

Nate Hudson

Senior Systems Engineer

West Bend Mutual Insurance

Nate Hudson Senior Systems Engineer West Bend Mutual Insurance
0 Kudos
TungeK
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I agree, root cause is always best to get to. Thing is, this has really only happened to us this one time, no one's really sure when or why it happened, so just trying a quick service restart seemed like an ok solution to our problem if it helped, which it did; I feel your pain on the change control front. Management used to make us put changes in for EVERYTHING until they almost had a mutiny on their hands Smiley Happy Now things that don't cause outages(or shouldn't, cross your fingers) don't require cc's.

0 Kudos
shentiandi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

a question. run the command after the template is solved, but when I

raise my service again appeared a machine in inaccessible, can be

accessed via remote access, but do not see the folder in the datastore

browser. What happened? as it solves?.

Greetings, Thanks

0 Kudos
marc_muller
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this post folks! all my templates came back after restarting the server service.

0 Kudos