VMware Cloud Community
C_R_M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect to VM console after dns change

I just finished up changing all my VM's esx hosts and VC servers to use new dns servers. In addition the domain was changed as follows

from vm1.subdom1.xxx.com to vm1.subdom2.xxx.com The vCenter server as well as the esx hosts all underwent this change at the same time although the ip addresses stayed the same.

In vCenter though I am not seeing "Unable to connect to MKS: host address lookup for server vm1subdom1.xxx.com failed: no such host is known.

If I log onto the esx server with the vSphere Client I am able to connect to the console Where can I tell vCenter to use the new hostname of the VM instead of the old one? I can ping and resolve the vm from the vCenter server as well as RDP to it so DNS is working but vCenter is still trying to go to the old address.

Any Help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the Console access of the VMs ..the vCenter really does not rely on the DNS config .It communicates only through ports 902/903

This problem might have appeared due to some misconfig while changing DNS ...pls try below

Remove and add again the ESX Server to the vCenter

Restart the management services of the ESX ..#Service mgmt-vmware restart

--All the Best

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the Console access of the VMs ..the vCenter really does not rely on the DNS config .It communicates only through ports 902/903

This problem might have appeared due to some misconfig while changing DNS ...pls try below

Remove and add again the ESX Server to the vCenter

Restart the management services of the ESX ..#Service mgmt-vmware restart

--All the Best

0 Kudos
C_R_M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it Thanks, although I went about it backwards. I restarted the service agent which disconnected the host while keeping the VM's running. I wasnt sure if I could remove the host without vmotioning the vm's and since I was seeing strangeness I did not want to risk vMotion failing.

I then removed the the Host and readded and all is well.

Points awarded Thanks

0 Kudos