VMware Cloud Community
lewisma
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading vCenter 2.5 U6 to 4.1 Update 1

My environment is currently a single ESX 3.5 Update 5, VCenter 2.5 U6 and VMware View 4.5

I have a new Win2k8 64 Bit Std server that is ready and i want to upgrade vCenter to V4.1 U1. I used the data migration tool and ran backup.bat after following all the procedures such as stopping services. The backup script failed after about 15 minutes with a Backup of vCenter DB failed, there is no other detail in the logs. At the end of the script one line says the backup worked successfully and then at the bottom it tells me it didn't, so i'm a little confused as to the messages. I did check under the data folder and could see my vc_data file was only 24kb so it looks as though it didn't work as i would have expected that to be bigger. My current DB is a SQL Express (the bundled free version)

My question only have a single host, so not running anything like DRS/HA and vMotion. I just have VMware View VM's (approx 30) If i decided to install VCenter 4.1 U1 on my new 64 bit server and create a new DB what would i need to do other than adding in the existing host into the new vCenter. I understand that Resource Pools would need to be recreated. I just want to know whether i would be better starting from scratch and creating a new DB as other users say that 2.5 U6 to 4.1 U1 is a major leap. Or do i try and figure out the problem with the data migration tool not working ?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lewisma
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this discussion ?

Thanks

0 Kudos