VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC 2.5 physical server into VM

I am thinking to convert my Physical VC server into VM, and get rid of my physical server once for all. Is that a good practice at the VMware level to run VC in ESX host?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VC is officially supported in a VM. I actually just migrated my VC from a physical server to a VM, without any problems. The only thing you'll have to remember is while doing maintenance you'll want to make sure the VM, which is running VC, is shutdown last.

-Jon-

VMware Certified Professional

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VC is officially supported in a VM. I actually just migrated my VC from a physical server to a VM, without any problems. The only thing you'll have to remember is while doing maintenance you'll want to make sure the VM, which is running VC, is shutdown last.

-Jon-

VMware Certified Professional

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey

As posted, VC in a vm is supported by VMware and many people are using this configuration because of all the benefits that being VM brings.

On the other hand Ive met people who have kept it physical, purely because they feel more comfortable with it being physical.

Heres the doc, if you havent already got it.

www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_in_vm.pdf

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another thing you can do is set the VM (VirtualCenter) to start up automatically with your hosts. That way, if your hosts ever reboot, this will help ensure VC comes back up. Now, hopefully this is pointless because you have a fully redundant setup and won't have to worry about your hosts all going down. Smiley Happy

Of course, if you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos