VMware Cloud Community
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere 4.0 cluster reconfiguration

I removed two of my ESX servers from my orginal production cluster and I will be taking them over to a new DR site along with a new EQ SAN. In Vsphere I built a new cluster and readded both of these moved ESX servers but left them powered off. Since they have been off for about two months is it safe to bring these servers back online? There have been new volumes added on the existing production cluster and I am not sure what the impact will be if I bring these two migrated ESX servers back online.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

No worries, you can bring both hosts on DR site online. I assume that both hosts has different hostnames and IP adresses then hosts in production site.

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

The two servers that were moved have not been reconfigured. They are still using the same names and IP addresses that were used in the orginal cluster.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

The fundamental thing is that IP addresses (all IP adresses mgmt, vMotion, iSCSI etc) and host names used by DR hosts are not used by hosts in PROD. (IP address duplication).

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

The servers that are being moved across are retaining all of their networking information. There are no other servers that have the same name or IP addresess. My concern was that these two ESX servers have been off for two months and now are going to be powered on after there have been several new volumes added in the production cluster. So will there be any issues?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case you set the hosts to Maintenance Mode before powering them off, there should not be any issues with powering them back on. If the presentation for the new LUNs were configured correctly the hosts should pick them up. If you did not set the hosts to Maintenance Mode prior to powering them off, I'd recommend you make sure they are not part of a DRS cluster when powering them back on to avoid issues in case something is not configured correctly.

André

0 Kudos
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

The two removed hosts were put into maintanence mode and then turned off. When they are powered on again in the next couple of days they will be part of a new cluster but still managed by the same virtual center instance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The two removed hosts were put into maintanence mode and then turned off.

In this case I don't expect any issues. Once the hosts are powered on you will be able to double check the configuration before putting them back into production, i.e. exiting Maintenance Mode.

André

0 Kudos