VMware Cloud Community
cneriMC
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter 5.1 - Login with a local account

Hello, i got my Vcenter 5.1 lab running well with SSO BUT i cannot connect to vcenter server using a local admin account.

SSO admin and AD Admin can login but i would like to keep the abilty to login with a local admin account.

When adding right in the vcenter GUI i got this error message on "server" choise :  "UserDirectory.RetrieveUserGroups".........

Any trick ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

Yep... seen this too..

Im currently attending a v5.0 fast- track class and some of us couldn't resist updating our enviroment to 5.1.. 🙂

Before playing with various sort of permissions in a 5.1 enviroment we wanted to create a local "backdoor" account and noticed the same thing..

What the issue is... I have no idea... (didn't bother trying figure it out) All I can say is that you're not the only one seeing this error.

The only trick I can think of is to use the web client at all times as some of the new 5.1 features isn't available at all when using the vSphere client. (seems that VMware wants to ditch this completely in favor of the web based client)

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
cneriMC
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks, i think i found why :

-> 1st Node of a SSO cluster : No local login available

-> Basic single node SSO : Local login granted

can someone confirm ?

Regards

0 Kudos
cneriMC
Contributor
Contributor

I have also a problem starting my vcenter (2003 x64) normaly

I have to restart manually sstomcat (vsphere sso) service before being able to start vpxd (vcenter).

I tried to add service dependencies without result. ssotomcat depends on which system components ?

thx

0 Kudos
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hello cneriMC,

Welcome to the communities.

It seems java not install properly or not correct version of java you are using.

"He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself".
0 Kudos